Fuel smell - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Fuel smell

Hi all, I've recently had a top end rebuild following that old chestnut, the cambelt failure, and have noticed when getting out of the car that I can smell petrol.

I can't see any leaks under the car (although it would probably evaporate too quickly to notice?) and I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem?

I'm worried I might go up in a puff of smoke if some idiot throws a cigarette butt out in front of me.

Any suggestions will be gratefully explored.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 7

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Re: Fuel smell

Can you see any fine spray with bonnet open & engine running?Had this on another make,and it was a ceramic fuel connector on fuel injection rail that had a small crack on it,and was spraying onto bonnet sound-proofing?? (just something to try)
Hope you get it sorted Claire.
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

I had this also, about a month ago. Parked it outside my house after a long drive and the whole place stank of petrol - again, no leak. Haven't smelt it again though which is quite peculiar. Give it a couple of days and it may heal itself!
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

I had a fuel smell a few months ago on my disel engine, with smoke coming from under the car when stopping at traffic lights. My MPG also sank like a lead ballon.
It turned out to be a split sensor on/by the fuel pump which was oozing fuel onto the exhaust (hence the smoke). It was only a 15 job.
Just another idea to add to the others.

Hope you get it sorted

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Have you verified if the fuel cap is firmly closed? Sometimes the simplest things are the answer to big problems.

Besides that, it is usual after opening the engine that some oil be spilt over the head of the engine in the garage (while reassembling it). After the engine gets hot the oil evaporates and start smelling like burnt fuel. After a week or so of daily usage, the smell goes away.

Hope I've helped.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 24-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for your advice guys.

It's been a while since the rebuild so I don't think it's just a residual problem.

I'll check there is no spray this evening, will it make it more obvious if I rev the engine. Did this once on an opel kadette and my nextdoor neighbour came hurtling up the drive as there was a two foot high fountain of fuel coming out of a split pipe.

I noticed last night that there is a black deposit on the exit of the exhaust so I don't know if that might have something to do with it.

Damn car. Wish I didn't love it so much then I would just get rid.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

It could be something to do with the purge valve in the vapour recovery system. The purge Valve on my 145 was stuck closed and this caused a fuel smell from the charcoal cannister after a run. It is under the driver side front wing, have a sniff down there to see if the smell is from that area. I am pretty sure the setup on the 156 is similar to the 145, except the valve itself (not the cannister) is under the intake manifold on the 156 and not under the wing next to the cannister as per 145.
I was also getting fuel smells when the ventilation was blowing.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fuel , smell