156 Front suspension squeeky - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 Front suspension squeeky

Hey .. sorry for multiple threads. I just adore my latest Alfa so much, and the Alfa paranoia is setting in already.

I just bought the car. 2003 plate 156 1.6 TS. The garage is bought it from had to do a bunch of work to get it through the MOT, including new bushes and ARB's, and some welding underneath. All good

This is my fourth 156, im not very merchanically minded but i have driven many a mile in a 156 so i know from a driver perpective.

My last Alfa, well, it was knackered really in the end. Needed new wishbones etc, and would make an awful squeeky creaky noise whenever you went over a bump, or any kind of uneven surface.

My new 156 ... drives beautifully. really lovely solid drive. First 50 miles i did in it, flawless, and i was loving the fact that it did not make a sound at all when hitting any bumps in the road etc ... then last night it has started making a little squeeky noise if i hit a bump in the road.

I actually curbed it! Went to park and go slightly up a kerb, and did not take into account the 17 inch alloys, and the alloy scraped the curb, wasnt too mugh impact. since then, little squeeky noise

still drives real nice, but that sqeeky noise is really worrying me. It isnt really loud, just a real slight " eeky eeky " effect un uneven surfaces.

any advise ?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Berkshire
normally that squeaky sounds on uneven surface comes from upper wishbone...
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 05-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Today after driving for about 4 miles, the squeek just completely went. it is running real quiet now.

I have it booked in to Northern Alfa in Doncaster in a few weeks for a service and cambelt change, so reckon ill ask the guy to have a peep at the suspension too.
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

I'm in the same boat as you Scholar, and the creaking/squeaking comes and goes too. Had my upper wishbones done a couple of weeks ago and it still hasn't made a difference so my suspicions lie with the ARB as the noises started after I had a stiffer one fitted. Hopefully when Autolusso North open I'll have it checked with them. All the best, Gavin.
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
It's worth noting that worn antiroll bar drop links can make a very similar noise to the well known 'upper arm' squeak. During the wear phase the drop links will start to squeak/creak way before they begin to rattle. Taking them off (4 nuts and 2 minutes work once the car is in the air) and securing the antiroll bar (with cable ties) is a good way to determine the fault. It could of course be the antiroll bar bushes too but in my experience when these are worn the play felt through the pedals actually far outweighed any creaking sound. If the droplinks look old it's worth starting there as they are the cheapest part of the front suspension to buy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , front , squeeky , suspension