Any purchase advice for .... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-04-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 147

Any purchase advice for ....

I am looking to buy an Alfa 147 does anyone have any purchase advice things to check etc... I haven't looked over an Alfa for years so all but a fresh start. I know there is a concern on some of the posts about oil usage, not sure if this fits the 1.6...

I am considering a couple 4 year old 147, 1.6 TS, Lusso, Manual on 17' Super sports, various mileages.
Not sure about the wheels myself, they may prove to be a step too far. Lucky for me I don't have false teeth as I would no doubt have to pick them from the footwell on each journey...

Many thanks...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Re: Any purchase advice for ....

Hi kerjenski, welcome to AO
Yes the oil consumption is an issue on all Twinsparks, you need to check it weekly and top up if required. The danger of buying second-hand of course is that the car may have been owned by someone who didn’t heed this advice, so the car may have been run low. When you look at a pre-owned alfa then all you can do really is pull the dipstcick out and check it’s on the Max and make an assessment of the owner yourself!

Running low on oil can have a detrimental effect on the engine of course and often leads to variator failure, this will make itself known by a ‘diesel’ sound on cold start-up. An easy fix but indicative of neglect in some cases.

Cam belt and tensioners need to be done at 36000 or three years whichever is soonest.

Other than that, check for worn bushes on suspension and front anti-roll bar (bounce on each wing and listen for squeaks) and power steering fluid leaks towards the back of the engine.

Good luck

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Some good advice on 147 purchase here...
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147

I echo what he said, also don't be too put off if those you test have a stiff gear stick.

I looked at a few and ended up buying mine thinking I might have a problem developing that could cost a fortune to fix - look up other posts on here to see that a stiff gear stick is usually only a very small job that costs virtually nothing.

Good luck
P.S the wheels are cool!

as previously mentioned...make sure it also has both sets of keys..they are expensive to get cut and reprogrammed

all the best

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , purchase