Alfa 156 clutch, rebuilt but now pedal is slow to return - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 01-11-14 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales
Alfa 156 clutch, rebuilt but now pedal is slow to return

Hi Alfa Owner forumites!

I've got a problem with my 2000 156 2.0 TSpark clutch.

So my father replaced the whole thing late last year while solving an oil leak problem for me. New pressure plate, diaphragm, slave cylinder or master cylinder (I think, not sure) washers and bearings. Clutch is beautiful and light and responsive now (most of the time).

The only issue is that when it heats up the pedal starts to slow when it returns. So after heavy use in car parks or on hot days I can take my foot off the clutch and it will take a good three to four seconds for the pedal to come back to the top and for the clutch to re engage fully. The problem starts off small but yesterday was a hot day and after twenty minutes of light traffic the clutch was all but unusable. And making a loud hydraulic wheezing/squeaking sound. I parked the car for 10 or so hours and when I drove back in the cool night the clutch was fine. No issues what so ever.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Any idea what it could be?

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem, I look forward any and all wisdom that could come my way. Also, apologies for any formatting and spelling errors, I'm posting from phone while sitting in a stairwell.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Somerset
Hi,hmm looks like u have all new parts there,it might be due to wrong hydraulic fluid in clutch system sleeve?boiling Then u have spring where clutch pedal If I good remember?... But lots guys even when they changed masted cylinders as they are two,one in side clutch! and second under battery! Second one sometimes sized or air getting as in side cylinder u have spring and bleed nipple....might suck air from split rubber as lots people had problem with it and they did extra sealing on it,hope this checks might help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , clutch , pedal , rebuilt , return , slow