GT Interior Lights - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT

LED's use so little power they're probably consuming whatever is left from some capacitors in the circuit somewhere. That bank of 48 LED's for example only consumes about 320mA, which is less than the single bulb it's replacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 41 Old 06-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amushrow View Post
LED's use so little power they're probably consuming whatever is left from some capacitors in the circuit somewhere. That bank of 48 LED's for example only consumes about 320mA, which is less than the single bulb it's replacing.
good to know - thanks!
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
good to know - thanks!
Mine glow too, any leds I have put in previous cars do but the power they are using glowing is only the same that the bulb would have been using but wasn't enough power to light it.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
go on, live a little

I get the same, but after a few minutes the glow seems to fade away. Same seems to happen with my LED sidelights. As long as it doesn't kill the battery, I figured it was ok.
If they go out after a couple of minutes I can live with that
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
If they go out after a couple of minutes I can live with that
They are so feint you'll hardly notice.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

I installed those 48 led ones from the link posted earlier on my front interior lighting, and they only work for a few seconds, afterwards they shut off. Also no fade in/out effects. Same happened with some other (supposedly CANBUS) compatible ones I tried in the past. I havent changed the other interior lights to LED (5 door 147). Any ideas?
ej2_sir likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Same thing is happening to me too. Sometimes the fade works, but often it just cuts out.
Has anyone found some LEDs that actually work the same way standard bulbs do? I like the white light but that behaviour plus the "off glow" is really annoying me.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

I tested it a bit today, and found that if the car is turned on, everything works properly with no timeouts.

If the car is turned off though, fade in usually works, and the light cuts out completely without a fade after 5-10 seconds. Then you can not turn them on again, unless you wait for a while or start the car. If you try to force the always on position, the dim led glow happens, but they don't turn on.

I measured the leds i bought, the 48 led ones are around 3.5 watt, and a 9 led one i bought for the back courtesy light is around 1.2watts. There's definitely some time of CANBUS check going on that makes the body computer shut them off after a while. So a resistor must be added in parallel with the leds in order for it to work. I suck at physics and I'm trying to find someone to give me the correct values for the resistors. I think a 15Ω/10Watt is good enough for the 48led ones and a 22Ω/10Watt for the 9led one, but I might be wrong, and I don't want to blow fuses or have the car catch fire
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Yes, this is exactly it. I found these on Ebay. Might be worth a shot.. Premium LED Innenraumbeleuchtung Alfa Romeo GT Weiß | eBay
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Well bought and installed. So far no more glow when off and everything works as expected
sye likes this.
AO Member

County: UK
Good morning all,

Have been thinking of doing this on my 147, but decided to start with indicators and brake/tail lights first. So, my reason for posting is, have changed my rear indicator bulbs for canbus LED's, and although they work and there is no bulb error on dash, all indicators flash at a slightly faster rate and the arrows on the dash flash at twice normal speed! any ideas on how I can remedy this? also changed the front orange bulbs for some osram chrome amber ones which work at the "normal" rate when fitted with the original rear ones. Im a bit of an electrical dummy, so layman's terms please: squareeyed:
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

Seems the CANBUS system is quite tricky to fool, on both interior and outside lights. It not only does a resistance check on startup like most cars do, but actually expects/relies to constantly get the proper consumption of the original incadescent lights. I made a load resistor kit for my interior lights that bumps the consumption to 10 watts, but havent got the time to actually install it yet... In a few days I will report if it actually works.

Last edited by kourampies; 18-10-16 at 07:35.
AO Member

@Il padrino: Add a resistor to each indicator LED bulb with around 20W and they will flash with normal rate.

Resistor 21W anti-error OBC ARCOL
resistor for LED turn signal
AO Member

County: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
@Il padrino: Add a resistor to each indicator LED bulb with around 20W and they will flash with normal rate.

Resistor 21W anti-error OBC ARCOL
resistor for LED turn signal
thanks for this, have seen these but was also considering an "LED" relay to replace the standard one. Only issue being where is the indicator relay on an 04 plate 147 1.1 TS? have been looking and it seems that its either in the steering column or somewhere in the main area under the dash. My handbook talks about fuse location but not the relay!!
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

After lots of planning, the ****tiest wiring and soldering known to man, a mess of wires and a few zip ties... It works!!! I put some 15Ω 15Watt resistors parallel to those 48 led things, and it works perfectly. Fade in-out, no shutting down etc. On the 147 is easy to mount the resistors safely with zip ties so heat is not a problem. I can provide photos if needed.
(Post Link) post #41 of 41 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

147 1.6 120CV

The "final" version I made uses 22Ω 15watt resistors. They are mounted into the roof plastics (lots of excellent spots) with zip ties, and I put JST plugs on the resistors and festoon to led adapters, so its very clean and safe (used heatshrink, proper soldering etc). Total consumption is a little lower than 10watt, so energy saving too

The problem is that the 48 led panels dont fit into the back courtesy light, or the boot light. While they are much smaller than the transparent plastic, the "skeleton" and the mechanisms don't allow the 48led ones to fit in. So Im researching for alternatives. Again, I will use the same load system, with the 22Ω resistors when I find the correct leds.

Anyway, Included is a pic of the final product, If needed I think i took some photos of where I mounted the resistors in the car too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_190736.jpg (80.0 KB, 10 views)
pendragonfalls and sye like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
interior , lights