Why did they put it there? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Powys
Why did they put it there?

So the other day I did the cambelt on the M-Jet. Very easy job really, apart from it pouring with rain half way through. It was 63,000 miles old and comletely knackered. Yes, I changed the water pump - bearing was a bit rattly...

Anyway, one of the ally pipes running along the inner wing was all bent and in the way, so I bent it back. That turned a tiny power steering leak into a massive, top up every 15 miles, type of leak. Great.

So you're all going to say that it's corrosion where the pipes go through the clamp, because that's what I thought. Not so! The return pipe from the cooler, for no reason that I can deduce, kinks behind the rack for about 4 inches. And that's where the leak was.

In the end I cut that bit out with a miniature pipe cutter and replaced it with a piece of reinforced rubber hose, run in front of the rack. It's a return so no real pressure. I got the old bit out and it had obviously been kinked some time ago and had a really tiny split in the seam.

But why is it there? It's completely accessible everywhere else, and then it just disappears around the back of the rack where the column goes in. The only thing I can think of is that it's something to do with the order it was assembled in at the factory. It's a pain anyway, and I got really oily.

Drinking beer now so happier
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

You sorted it at least

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT