QH Brake pads - don't bother! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Hmmm QH Brake pads - don't bother!

Evening all.

Just spent the day messing with my brake pads (Alfa 156 JTD 16v, 2004).

The car has 20k on it and i've recently noticed a grind coming from the front when braking at low speeds. Went to my local spares shop who got me a set of "Mid market" pads - QH brand.

Took off the old pads which were hardly worn (Bosch pads), but I do have a lip on the edge of the disks.

When I put the new pads in, the pad area is slightly bigger than my own, so the who pad was not making contact with the disk (1st problem). Second problem was that after winding back the caliper and fitting the pads, I couldn't get the pad spring back on without much physical force . Went for a spin and ended up taken them off and putting the old ones back on.

My advice - stay away from these pads - not only is the shape slightly different (the back plating, which I believe caused the fitting problem of the pad spring) put they seem very inferior quality to the oem ones.

Hope this helps someone in their choice of pads. FWIW, I'm gonna wait till my pads wear out and replace the disks as well at the same time.

Alfa Romeo history in order - 156 Sele, 156 Sele, Spider 156jtd facelift, 147 1.6, 156 GTA, GTV 3.0, 156jtd, 145QV, 156GTA, 145qv
Sponsored Links
Re: QH Brake pads - don't bother!

To be honest...it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the pads...the lip can be overcome by filing a chamfer on the edge of the pad, allowing the wear to catch up.

The pad spring does take some brute force to insert.

Pads also need a while to bed in, not just a quick spin.

Am I missing something?

AO Platinum Member

It does sound like you need new discs.
The fronts have a minimum thickness of 20mm, the rears 9mm.
Obviously measured at the narrowest part, not the thick lip at the outer edge....

never heard any bad feedback though the trade on qh. tbh i fit lucas/trw because i get staff discount on them. But i would have no hesitates fitting them if someone gave them me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bother , brake , pads