Just posting this as it may help others to avoid a couple of pitfalls that I haven't seen mentioned on here before.
Car is a 2006 GT JTD. After extensive research on here I prepared by buying a 4in hub-puller (£7 from eBay), a 32mm socket for the hub nut (£4.95) and an angle grinder and disks in case the old hub "race" was jammed and I needed to cut into it (£25 off eBay. silver line).
Okay, first problem is that the hub nut is really tight. I strongly recommended you loosen this with the wheel still firmly on the ground. This means jacking the car up, remove wheel, prise off hub nut cover with small screwdriver and push out the alfa cap from the centre of the wheel. Put wheel back on and drop the car.
With an 18in breaker bar I couldn't budge it but luckily I had a steel tube in the garage to use as an extension and this allowed me to loosen the nut.
With the car back up on trolley jack it was off with the wheel, off with the brake calliper and then off with the disk securing bolt thingy. I DID NOT have to touch the caliper carrier - it was possible to get the disk out with a bit of wiggling.
Then it was off with the hub nut and then I was ready to attach the puller. I didn't need it! The old bearing and hub just slipped off easily by hand - it didn't even leave the old race behind! Happy days!
I'd bought a new SFK hub fom AltAutos (thanks Steven) which had a plastic ring in the centre to hold the bearings in place. I couldn't figure out how to get it out. It was in tight. Eventually I decided to push the new part onto the axle thinking that would push it out. It did, but one of the bearings came with it!
Spent next 2 hours trying to push it back to no avail. Tried G clamps, everything. Nothing worked. It was the front race which had popped out. With much messing I ended up with the rear race out too. And then the front one just slipped back easily. The rear now wouldn't go back in.
Anyway, I ended putting the whole thing back onto the car and decided to press the race in by just doing the hub nut as tight as I could. It worked. There was quite a loud thunk as the bearing went back in and I just hoped I hadn't knackered it
The hub was now spinning freely and I finished tightening it up with the extension bar.
Everything back on and the wheel spins nice and quiet now. Test drive was whine free.
So moral is - watch out for that plastic retainer. It's a b@stard!
Sent from my iPad