Starter Motor, easy to replace? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Starter Motor, easy to replace?

My starter motor is really starting to **** me off. Its suffering from the common screech/scrathing sound for about 1 - 2 seconds on cold mornings.

Firstly, where is the starter motor located on a 147?

Secondly, how difficult would it be to replace this myself? If anyone could share experience if they've done theirs - would be very grateful.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156, 2.4jtd

Re: Starter Motor, easy to replace?

If it's anything like a 156 starter then difficulty level about 5/10 (only nuts and bolts) fiddly factor 8/10, knuckle scraping and annoyance 10/10.

It's a hateful job on the 156. definitely need more patience than mechanical skill for it.
AO Member

Sounds like the 'pre-engage' gear is not returning quick enough after starting the engine. The usual cause is dirt on the shaft.

The solenoid on top of the starter, when energized, pushes this gear into engagement with the starter ring before the starter motor turns the engine (hence pre-engage). After de-energizing, the gear should spring back out of engagement. If the shaft is mucky, the gear will be slow to return and the flywheel will spin the gear up on the way out, causing the noise.

The starter is located behind the block, just under the oil pressure switch and bolts into the bellhousing.

If you do remove and clean, only lubricate the shaft with silicon spray, not WD40.

The old question remains, having gone to the trouble of removing the motor, is it worth putting the old one back?

Personally, I'm a cheapskate and would hate to throw a good motor away, so after removing, cleaning, inspecting, lubing AND BENCH TESTING, if I was satisfied it was serviceable, I'd refit it! Cos I ain't rich!

Of course I could be totally wrong and it's just plainly knackered!
AO Member

I had the same problem on my 147. I had it repaired under warranty. I'd tackle the dealer if you're still covered by a warranty.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

Ours has done it for the maybe 3 years of our ownership and I WILL DO IT SOON my darling. Actually it annoys me more than her and probably spells damage its been going on so long. I've put it down to a dry armature but repsect the view of those who've been there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

easy , motor , replace , starter