GT jtdms - spotting the 170s - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 16-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

GT jtdms - spotting the 170s

I know there's been some discussion on here about how to identy the 170bhp GTs, whihc seems to come down to:
  • Can't go by the Cloverleaf badges
  • Sport Button is a guarantee of 170

...but even then, I've seen people posting that they have the sport button on a car that claims to only be 150. And as soon as I've had a look around Autotrader, I've found this, which claims to have a sports button but only be 150 (also says "Possibly has the Q2 Limited Slip Diff but cant 100% confirm"!?). I presume the little red fella by the handbrake in this pic from that ad is the sport button, so we know that part is correct?

Is there any other more definitive way of knowing the power output? Registration based searches don't seem to say - can you get it for definite from the VIN? Or if I see a car in the flesh, is there anything visible under the bonnet that would tell me (same for the Q2, actually, given vague stuff like the above!)?

The other question is wheterh there was another 170 version, other than the Cloverleaf Q2? The gerneal consensus seems to be no, and that agrees with Parkers, but I've seen other mentions of a "Special Edition", whihc could partly explain the advertisedr one I linked to. Anybody know of such a beast?

Last edited by A1Dan75; 16-10-14 at 12:31.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 29 Old 16-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ah, think I may have found the answer to the last question about Special Editions here
(Post Link) post #3 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Another question that's occurred to me while looking at GTs on autotrader...

It looks like those without the Sport button have the same panel in place, but without the red button (eg this photo).

I'm guessing that this is just a plastic blank with no actual buttons on it, or is there something else there?

Last edited by A1Dan75; 17-10-14 at 19:50.

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Those buttons are usually ASR and fuel filler cap. I'm guessing the sport button replaces the ASR button
(Post Link) post #5 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Those buttons are usually ASR and fuel filler cap. I'm guessing the sport button replaces the ASR button
Ah, right - and those two are both black, right?

So does the Q2 system mean that there's no need to be able to turn off the ASR, or is there a different buttong?

I'm slightly amused by the placing of something as mundane as the filler cap there... visions of reaching down for that extra throttle response and accidentally popping it open!
(Post Link) post #6 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

To be honest, the more I look at GTs on Autotrader, the more puzzled I am. There a several Cloverleafs on there which have the red button, but are listed as 150 and no mention of Q2... much like Dinky's question here.

So either there are "rogue" red buttons out there (might people just be switching over the ASR button for a red one? Seems unlikely en masse!) or loads of people don't know what car they're selling!

And to deepen the mystery further, here's something else I found... According to this website, which seems to have realistic numbers for most models of cars, there were only ever 2 Cloverleaf Q2s and 2 Special Edition Q2s registered.
So I'm wondering if there was some general ****-up with the registration of these Q2s, and they all got recorded as standard 150s?
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Dan75 View Post
I know there's been some discussion on here about how to identy the 170bhp GTs, whihc seems to come down to:
  • Can't go by the Cloverleaf badges
  • Sport Button is a guarantee of 170

...but even then, I've seen people posting that they have the sport button on a car that claims to only be 150. And as soon as I've had a look around Autotrader, I've found this, which claims to have a sports button but only be 150 (also says "Possibly has the Q2 Limited Slip Diff but cant 100% confirm"!?). I presume the little red fella by the handbrake in this pic from that ad is the sport button, so we know that part is correct?
That's correct, the red button on the right is the sport button. The one on the right is a black blank (I've just been out and checked).
(Post Link) post #8 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
That's correct, the red button on the right is the sport button. The one on the right is a black blank (I've just been out and checked).
Oh now I'm (more) confused... where's the fuel cap (as per Jiberson's post)?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
On the dash to the right of the steering wheel.
AO Member

County: Essex
Hi I have a 2010 cloverleaf gt . V5 says 150 bhp , it has the sport button and no badges or I.D stickers. I took my gt to my local performance garage and they clocked it at 168 bhp. A trip to my local Alfa dealer and a chat to a mechanic confirms my car is a 170 SE. Seems that at the end of the production run some gt,s got the SE spec but are registerd as 150 .ASR button / filler release is by the drivers air vent ( replaces the headlight adjustment as SE has xenons ) SE only came in red and white. Mechanic also said no 150 had sport button . Hope that helps.
Club Member

County: West Midlands
here (GT Special Edition 2010 White Looks Lovely)

That is the very car I purchased, other than the sticker on the drivers 'B' pillar there is nothing to indicate it as 170bhp.

So I would suggest that you look at the sticker for yourself or get the seller to send a photo of the sticker to confirm whether 150 or 170bhp.
(Post Link) post #12 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickco View Post
Hi I have a 2010 cloverleaf gt . V5 says 150 bhp , it has the sport button and no badges or I.D stickers. I took my gt to my local performance garage and they clocked it at 168 bhp. A trip to my local Alfa dealer and a chat to a mechanic confirms my car is a 170 SE. Seems that at the end of the production run some gt,s got the SE spec but are registerd as 150 .ASR button / filler release is by the drivers air vent ( replaces the headlight adjustment as SE has xenons ) SE only came in red and white. Mechanic also said no 150 had sport button . Hope that helps.
Nice one Ricko, clears a lot up.

Crazy how many people seem to be unknowingly selling 170s as 150s, given the supply v demand for 170s.

Potentially also handy for insurance, I guess!
Club Member

Quote:
Dan your over complicating the situation. The red sport button means its a 170 plain and simple. The 170's came from the factory with clover triangle badges under the front side indicators and nothing else. Although mine had a q2 badge too. But that was rare. You will also if it has not been removed have a silver "cloverleaf 170 sticker in the inner drivers door aperture near the lock striker.

Also as you mentioned it, our 170 pushbutton fuel cap release button is to the right of the steering wheel on a small panel. Although believe it or not some 150's came with it placed here.

The 150 has a single clover leaf emblem on the boot next to the GT badge. And instead of the sport button has a lovely "GT cloverleaf" inner script near the coin tray in the centre console. The blackine's came with a blackline script.

The SE cloverleafs which came later on in the models life did not have clover badges on the body. But these were always later cars.

You are correct in saying you see 170's advertised as 150's. Dealers do not know what they have. When they come in as part exchanges. Which is in the public's favour.

Hope this helps.
Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 17-10-14 at 21:39.
(Post Link) post #14 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Dan your over complicating the situation. The red sport button means its a 170 plain and simple. The 170's came from the factory with clover triangle badges under the front side indicators and nothing else...
The 150 has a single clover leaf emblem on the boot next to the GT badge.
From what I've read on here and seen in listings though, you can't rely on the badges at all, as plenty have additional or missing badges.
I've seen examples with all three badges, and others that were clearly 150s (no red button) but had only the side ones.

The sticker in the door sounds pretty reliable (who's going to bother get one of them post-market!).
Could lead to some odd phone calls to dealers... "yeah, I'm interested, but could you just send me a photo of the inside of the door frame?"
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
All this cafuffle over 20bhp on a derv!

The GT Cloverleaf is a beauty in any form, but do people really pay a premium for a few extra ponies and a fancy dif on a car that's essentially a luxurious cruiser, not a nimble sports car...?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
... do people really pay a premium for a few extra ponies and a fancy dif on a car that's essentially a luxurious cruiser, not a nimble sports car...?
Yes.
AO Member

Garage
Speaking from experience I'm assuming Roswell
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Speaking from experience I'm assuming Roswell
I didn't consider the lesser 150 model so I can't compare.

I remember once I decided I wanted a GT it had to be the most exclusive one available within my price range, hence...
AO Member

Garage
I went through a similar phase when gearing up for my GT purchase but decided it didn't matter on a a diesel daily drive, especially as outwardly they're identical.

Almost bought an older busso GT but two cars in the garage returning 20 mpg might have got expensive!
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:

The GT Cloverleaf is a beauty in any form, but do people really pay a premium for a few extra ponies and a fancy dif on a car that's essentially a luxurious cruiser, not a nimble sports car...?
Speaking personally, I'd maybe a small premium for a car that's just a little bit more of a nimble sports car, but probably not the premium you could expect to be charged.
But if people are selling them for the same price, as they don't even realise they're any different, then yes, I'll certainly take the 20 extra and the dif.
Club Member

Quote:

You having a giraffe? This chassis is really capable. Chuck the standard suspension in the bin put some decent uprated suspension and ARB's on then come back with that comment? Oh and the diff words really well actually worth the money anyday.
Unlike probably yourself i didn't buy my GT 170 for posing round in, i bought it because it had the potential to be a great drivers car. With the sport button you can incorporate a dual power map when remapping. So it is a nice feature if you plan to modify the car.

The 156 GTA also has the same chassis.

Damien.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
But if people are selling them for the same price, as they don't even realise they're any different, then yes, I'll certainly take the 20 extra and the dif.
Oh definitely, no question! Still need to buy with your head though, very easy to spot a 170 offered at 150 prices and get so excited at the prospect of a cheeky bargain that you forget to check the car out properly.

I'm talking from experience, having nearly bought a 170 that was pretty shagged, before finding my Bella, which is immaculate inside and out but has the 150 lump
AO Silver Member

Just back from a test drive. Had a try of a red cloverleaf which had 102k on the clock (was the nearest one to me, geographically). I was curious to see the difference against mine. It was tatty and not cared for, so that aside...

- engaged the sport button (I know its just throttle response) and its a nice smooth power delivery. Felt about the same as my 150 with a tuning box (set at 60% of its maximum), but smoother.
- Bose sounded good, about the same as my uprated headunit, front speakers and sub in the boot.
- Needs to be lowered though. Still too high for my liking.
- Black leather is a bit underwhelming coming from my red leather.
- Clutch was like a leg press and needed lubricating and the door check strap was clunking which made me chuckle

Good to compare both and I was certainly just tyre-kicking. For me the leather would probably be a deal breaker. Temptation over lol
(Post Link) post #24 of 29 Old 07-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Does anybody have a photo of the dor sticker that confirm the 170s?

Would be handy to check for as I look at any potential purchases!
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141107_105448.jpg (47.2 KB, 18 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
170s , jtdms , spotting