147 problems can anyone help me!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 problems can anyone help me!!

Hi everybody, Im guessing we are all her as we share the same brand and experiences of the Alfa romeo!

Well I have an Alfa 147 Twin Spark 1.6 pertol which is on a 01 plate, I have had the car now for 3 years nearly and have experienced a few problems, but the one's most concerning me at the moment are:

The engine for the past 1-2 years has sounded as if it is a diesel when first starting, I have been told many different things from hydrolic tappets, veriator?? Recently I have changed jobs which makes me put 500 miles per week in miles and it is drinking oil really bad, about 9 litres in the last 10 weeks roughly, I have taken the car into a local garage and they had a quick look at it, they said its burning oil slightly as there are no traces of oil leaking on the road of on the bottom of the engine, but when they removed the dip stick while the engine was running, no smoke surfaced which is another sign of oil burning if oil does surface (but min didnt), it was only when I put my foot on the gas pedal he said there was a slight smell of oil. They are telling me I need an new engine which is going to be very costly, but I wanted to see if I could do anything before this was finally decided.

I also get a knocking noise from the front of the car between teh wheels when I'm driving. The same garage looked at it and replaced the anti roll shock bar on the passenger side, but the noise is still happening. ARRHHHHHHH can anyone help? Really dont wanna get rid of the car as I love its looks and the drive, plus cant afford to change car.

Sorry if I ranted on but I'm really wanting friendly help now, while out been felt Im been taking for a money ride!!

Thanks for reading and I hope you maybe able to help me!?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: 147 problems can anyone help me!!

I replied to your other post, I think? Really sorry to hear about your problems! Have you got a good Indie close by, that might offer honest advice? Good Luck.:
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire
Re: 147 problems can anyone help me!!

See comments on other 'welcome' post.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , problems