Mdu - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 07-10-14 Thread Starter
County: Gauteng

I am driving an Alfa 156 2.0 TS 1999 model , and have the following fault for the past 3 weeks:
The car stays on high idling even when stationary.
My Auto Eletrician tested with the Launch X431 and found the following codes:
0170 and 0100 , I would like to know the description for them , can somebody please help.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
You might not get the right codes using that system ... the pre-2000 156 didn't have a standard OBD system so needs MultiEcuScan really ... luckily that will read you codes in it's free to use mode if you also get a KKL VAG-COM interface cable.

But if they are being read correctly they are:

P0100: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction ... replacement MAF required .. get a Bosch one!
P0170: Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) ... probably the lambda sensor ... again buy Bosch, NTK type doesn't work properly.

You may also have an air-leak ... mine was the oil separator valve behind the throttle body. The valve inside was missing and letting air in from the crankcase which meant my idle was 1200-1400 rather than 850 rpm. Check the "saga" behind this on my greenserpent website (link below)

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT