what type of 156 alternator? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-03-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 156 ts 2.0

Help what type of 156 alternator?

i have a 156 2.0 litre t.spark and i needed to replace the alternator.trouble is that i got a spare which may be off of a 1.6 or a 1.8.i just dont know.. the one i need has only 5 ribs on the wheel but the spare one sent to me has 6 !?does anybody know the differences ,its just impossible to read what type of alternator i have ,as to read the alternator sticker whilst still in the engine is impossible. i have looked on the EPER and my type of 156 is M3/2000 T.S. CF2 i dont know if this info will help !!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: what type of 156 alternator?

Re the grooves/ribs on the pulley.
Both were fitted to the same engines, so it can't be used to identify which one it is.
However you would need to swap the pulley if you did fit it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 30-03-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 156 ts 2.0

another difference is the top main supporting bolt.the one i have fitted to the car at the moment has a washer and bolt with the washer pushing flat to the side of the alternator.the spare part alternator sent has an opening built in to the alternator casing for a bolt head to sit into to lock it in so there must be different types....the sticker on the alternator sent reads this....

63321349 14v
date 41-98
type:A 127IR-100A

could anybody explain what this stuff means?
AO Member

Member car:

156, 2.4jtd

63321349 looks like an Alfa part number but i can't find it on EPER. I am no expert on using EPER but what i think it is saying is that there are 3 possible alternators that could fit your car and that one you have been sent is not one of them, but as i said, not an expert on EPER so could be wrong.

Can't say it for sure but the one you have been sent seems to be an older model (date 41-98 points to that too, week41 1998 is it ?). The 6 ribs on the pulley would match with a 7 rib belt which i think is the older one. 5 ribs on the pulley matches a 6 rib belt which is the newer one (10/99<). other than the changes in pulley they seem to have made the newer alternators more ventilated to withstand heat better and designated them like "100AH" where the one you have is "100A"

Don't rely on this but part numbers 46769369 , 60816046 and 46445658 seem more like the correct ones.

2003,2.4 JTD,Nero black.
FITTED:Remap,Supersprint exhaust,CDA,Splitter,TV,DVD,DVB-T,PS2,Blaupunkt MP74 ICE,GTA HID lights,Lexus rears,smoked windows
WAITING:Koni sportspack
The non-Italian project

Last edited by okenora; 30-03-07 at 22:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alternator , type