Heat Shield Bolt - Shaved off! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Heat Shield Bolt - Shaved off!

Hey Guys,

After getting my car back from the Mechanics after they pulled everything out (had gearbox re-machined and put a new clutch in) a couple days later I noticed a loud rattle in the low rev range. As I had the exhaust bracket fixed months back I knew it couldn't be this so went to investigate.

Opened the bonnet, and it wasnt hard to spot. One of the bolts from the Heatshield (left side) Has been completely shaved off leaving the heat shield loose to rattle and half of the bolt still in the hole!

Is this normal? Could it be a result of the work that was done? Would they have fiddled with the heat shield when pulling out the gearbox and replacing the clutch? Is it bad to leave it with only one bolt for a prolonged period of time?

I'll have to take it back to get fixed in a couple of days so for now I have just bent the heat shield back just enough so it doesnt rattle.

Does anyone know how much time is needed to get half of the bolt out and replace it? It seems simple enough but it being an Alfa i cant help but think they'll have to pull the whole bloody engine out just to get enough room to work the remaining bolt out.

// The Australian Premier League // An online Pro Evolution Soccer league for Australians.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Heat Shield Bolt - Shaved off!

Should be a case of drilling it out, tapping a thread and putting a new one in. Had a similar problem with a bolt on a previous car. Guy used a small drill that ran on compressed air to do it - easy for him to access small cramped spaces. The guy even came out to my place. Cost be R300 +/- (divide by 5.6 for oz dollar). Try blame the mechanic and get it done for free.

It should be fine for a while - my heatshield was craxked for ages and it did nothing - besides make a noise.
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Re: Heat Shield Bolt - Shaved off!

Exhaust has to come off to get gearbox out. Not sure about manifold though.

Either way as said ^^ ask the mech to sort it seeing that it wasn't like that before.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bolt , heat , shaved , shield