flashing passenger airbag light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex
flashing passenger airbag light

Hi everyone I appologise for starting yet another airbag warning light thred here as there are already thousands on here. However I am still a little unsure so am starting this to hopefully get the answers I'm looking for.

I have a '06 GT 3.2 (awesome car btw) and when ignition is in the 'MAR' position both airbag lights illuminate (along with ABS, power steering etc) then go out after a few seconds exactly as they should. Imediatelly afterwards the passenger airbag light (amber one) flashes repeatedly a few times then goes out. It does not come on while driving and the 'key' switch at the very end of the dash is set to airbag on - normal use with passenger airbag activated (no child seat)

The manual is a bit vague but there is a paragraph saying that this WOULD indicate a fault in the system!!?? (yet the red main airbag light is working fine!!??)

This is my first Alfa but I have never seen anything like this on any other car including Fiat - what I mean is airbag warning lights (along with ABS oil, etc) come on with ingnition then go out, thats it.

So the question is - is the flashing Amber passenger airbag light just a unique Alfa trate and does everyone else experience the same sequence on start up or is there a genuine fault somewhere in the system???
Sponsored Links
County: New South Wales

Member car:

Yep, this is how it works, nothing wrong with it.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
As said, that's just the airbag system / ECU going through its boot / load cycle and simply indicates that the system is checking the status of the passenger airbag and as the light does out shows it has determined that the airbag is active - if the light stayed on it would indicate that the airbag is inactive / disabled.

Just remember the lights on your dash work on a basic RAG (red amber green) system, green lights are purely for information, amber lights are take notice / may require action and red lights mean action is needed.

So only worry if you've got a red light - red airbag light means airbags won't work.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex
Thanks guys you have put my mind at ease. It does beg the question why is it in the manual?? Oh well nevermind, thanks again
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
If you look at the picture that is flashing I see it as a warning to not put a child seat in as the airbag is activated. When I first got my GT it confused me at first but if the airbag is disabled it doesn't do its flashing sequence.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

airbag , flashing , light , passenger