Steering wheel off centre? Help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Steering wheel off centre? Help!!

Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone can help... I've had my 156JTS for a few weeks and have just had a new steering wheel put in. Since the wheel was put in, I seem to have to hold it slightly to the right to go straight...

However, if I let it self-centre, the steering wheel goes back to being dead centre of its own accord (and the car pulls to the right)...

Is it possible that the steering wheel has been installed crookedly? Or does it only fit in one way, without increments to the left and right? Do mechanics ever get this wrong?

The fact that the steering wheel goes back to perfect centre when it self-centres suggests that the steering wheel itself is correct and that I need to get the car's wheels aligned instead...

Perhaps it was like this with the old steering wheel since I bought the car and I just haven't noticed...

If anyone can shed light on this, that would be great.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Re: Steering wheel off centre? Help!!

I had a problem like this on an older SEAT, the wheel was off. Basically I was told someone had hit it off a kerb when turning. Its a wheel alignment issue, check the tyres for uneven wear. if you are tempted to remove the steering wheel yourself to check alignment, disconnect the battery and let residual current dissapate. Otherwise your airbag light will come on when you start the car again... this can cost up to 70 Euro for main dealer re-set.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Steering wheel off centre? Help!!

If you get the track rods properly adjusted,with the appropriate toe in/or toe out as required, the steering should be central. If the spokes of the steering wheel are off centre, when the afore mentioned has been correctly set, then the steering wheel will need correct alignment on the splines. Castor is a fault that could affect pulling to one side, or a combination of geometry faults, distorted chassis members and so on. Plus of course, ball joint, bush wear etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

centre , steering , wheel