147 jtd 16v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

alfa 145,147

147 jtd 16v

Good day , I need to replace my drivers side lower control arm, I do have a basic idea how to do this, and have a fairly well equipped workshop, but was curious if there are any do's or don'ts of those that have done it, thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Once you've done one it's fairly easy job - the first can be a voyage of discovery though.

Make sure for the week or so running up to the job you get as much penetrating oil onto the mounting bolts (x 4) to help you free them up. There are still plenty of vehicles out there reaching a good age now that haven't had them replaced so expect the bolts to be well stuck.

I've managed to snap some of the bolts before and they're not little things so they can rust and go on you if you're not careful.

Obviously there is a ball joint on one end to contend with which is a pain in the backside given the housing its in, so make sure you've got an appropriate splitter for the job and one you can get into the upright casting to free the joint.

Make sure you jack the car up and put both sides on standards - take both wheels off to keep the front axel as balanced as possible - this will make life with the ARB easier. remove the ARB drop link (just replace with new - it's easier).

Take the brakes and discs off.

Undo the large bolt that holds the shock's fork to the lower arm (this is where you may way the extra wiggle room as it'll mean you can move the leg about.

Pop the ball joint.

Undo the upright's top ball joint and free off the upright.

undo the x 4 mount bolts and remove.

To locate the new arm you need to slide the rear mount point under the ARB mount point as they use the same bolt. once you've wiggle that in you're laughing.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 29-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

alfa 145,147

Thanks for the info, I will take your advice, and spray lots of loosener on the bolts, as I have had previous experience of rusted bolts,I have already replaced the top link arm on that side, but I still have a bad creaking sound when going through a dip in the road,at MOT a few days ago, (which it passed,) as there is no wear on the control arm, the technician showed where the noise was coming from, its a bit of a pain to replace it with no sign of wear, thanks once again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , jtd