156 front subframe bolts rounded - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-09-14 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
156 front subframe bolts rounded

Evening all,

After a frustrating weekend's tinkering with the idea of replacing shocks, wishbones etc I've ended up having to drop the front subframe to remove the inner rear bolt (which was totally seized in the bush).

Problem is that on reassembly (with a torque wrench I might add) the front bolt on both sides (the ones right above the wishbone mounts) have both rounded off. Are the inserts accessible from anywhere? Or are they captive in the chassis/welded on?

Unless they're reasonably accessible I'm tempted to weld the front of the subframe to the chassis leg - it's a shed so no reason to worry about longevity past another couple of years. Question is, does the subframe alignment itself have any bearing on the geo? I'll already have to have the tracking done as I'm replacing the track rod ends.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Northamptonshire
If your talking about the subframe front legs ( the long bolt ) yes they are inside the chassis . and i know your pain i hate the subframe replacing .

You could weld it but your going to be close to melting alot of stuff to get a good weld. you maybe able to cut a hole and slip a new nut in and tack that in place and weld the hole up
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 30-09-14 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
That's not a bad idea - 20 minutes with a cutting disk on either side I should be able to get something sorted I suppose. Just need a bag of M12 nuts now...
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
Thats not a good idea.

If you frame is out slightly (like mine was for 2 years), you will have some serious tyre issues at best. Plus its removable for a good reason. Fair enough its a shed but what about if your ARB starts to knock....lot of car to bin for a bush you cant get to.. By the time you have messed about welding etc etc, can you not just buy a nut excoriator, have you used heat...maybe drill it out? Or buy used frame with all the bits and bobs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , bolts , front , rounded , subframe