Todays problems with the GT - unable to connect to ECU and side light change fail - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Todays problems with the GT - unable to connect to ECU and side light change fail

Hey guys,

had a little poke around with my GT today.

since i picked the GT up the side lights have been very dull. both right and left side lights have an error.

so i did a bit of research and decided to change them both.
the drivers side light already had its little black tab snapped off but i was able to wiggle it out using the wires and got it changed within a few minutes. light error now gone and working well.

the passenger side however has been a nightmare. the tab was in place but the light seems to be stuck. ive gripped it with pliers, my fingers, and wiggled it by the wires but nothing. its stuck.

it comes out so far but i just cant get it any further.
does anyone have any ideas?

i gave up on the side light for the day and decided to try out multiecuscan for the first time.
i bought a cable connector (pic 1)
and plugged it in under the drivers side just above the fuse box (pic 2 and 3) and it seems to be all the way in there to me.
however when i click on connect it says com1 port is not present (which i am assuming means it isnt connecting to the ecu (pic 4) any ideas?

i really want to take a look at whats going on wiht my ecu as i am having some intermittent problems with my electric windows and a flashing odometer.

any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (151.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg pic 2.jpg (46.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg pic 3.jpg (39.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pic 4.jpg (39.4 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The tab can foul the vertical strip of plastic at the rear of the light housing, the strip that appears to serve no purpose other than to make changing the sidelights difficult.

Whenever I do it I have my thumb and forefinger either side of that strip, seems to give a better grip.

Very unlikely it's COM1, with the cable connected to your laptop have a look at your ports in device manager, then set MES to match the port.

Whereabouts are you?

Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , connect , ecu , fail , light , problems , side , todays , unable