156 main beam indicator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156

156 main beam indicator

Thought I had a blown bulb on the main beam telltale on the rev counter of my 03 156 2.0 JTS.

Only now I've replaced the bulb, the telltale (by which I mean the blue light that indicates that main beam is on) still doesn't light up, although the headlights themselves are working fine.

When I swapped the bulb and its twist-out holder with one of the other two at the back of the rev counter (the ones that provide the backlight), the fault stayed where it was - so, not the bulb or the holder but presumably something blown in the circuitry between the main beam switch and the main beam telltale.

Main beam fuses are fine (and if they weren't, the headlights wouldn't be working) - so I assume logical next step is to replace the circuitboard behind the rev counter - or more likely the whole unit.

Anyone got any better ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Try if you haven't checking the main connector plug that goes to the unit . Try and clean it and give the connectors a spray with contact cleaner before you write the whole unit off try the same with the bulb pins in the unit too.
Can't hurt
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 25-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156

Connectors all look OK and I've reseated them a few times - but contact cleaner worth a go, as you say. Blooming electrics.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , beam , indicator , main