Re: Kangarooing 156 - now desperate
I spent weeks trying to resolve this fault back in 2001. Replaced the variator and ALL the sensors simultaneously as I got the car at a very low price and it avoided paying hundreds of pounds in diagnostic fees for 'no fault found'.
Turned out to be a 'dry' soldered joint on the variator solenoid. Look at the solenoid top and you will see two bright metal soldered joints, these joints need remaking. Job is best done by removing the solenoid then suck the solder out of the joints until the wires are free then remove the black plastic top which is held on by two screws (if memory serves correctly). You will find the wire ends somewhat burnt, so will need cleaning up. If they are really bad you could find a similar grade of wire and extend them within the solenoid case, as there is plenty of room. If you are short of time, you could just try soldering those joints in-situ, but it might not make such a lasting repair.
Do a reset on Examiner (or just drive the car further) and let the ECU memory re-adjust itself to the improved, and programmed, levels of volumetric efficiency for those low RPMs. Of course, if the variator is sticking, it would cause the same symptom.