147- oil leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso

147- oil leak

Alfa147 - Oil leak

After falling in love with the 147 at first sight i finally purchased one and collected it 7 days ago.
It's a 51 reg 1.6 with only 30,000 miles on the clock and full service history.

I cannot describe how happy i was with the car, the interior and drive surpassed my expectations. I was finally a proud alfa owner and was looking forward to thousands of miles of driving plesure and plenty of looks from jealous onlookers. Untill i noticed a large patch of oil on my driveway!

I have very little knowledge of the engine side of cars, just a passion for driving.
I was hoping someone out here might be able to tell me if this is a common probelm on the 147, were it may be leaking from etc..
I checked the oil level and noticed that it was well over full, i have been told that this may have actualy caused the probelm in the first place, something to do with pressure. Although i am hoping, prehaps naively, that this leak is just the engines way of getting rid of the excess oil and that all will be fine once oil level has decreased!?!

I would be grateful for any help/ advice any1 can offer, thanx.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: 147- oil leak

Overfilling is a problem and may lead to causing a leak in the first place but you puddle is more likely to be from a genuine leak somewhere. Unfortunately it isn`t just the cars way of expelling unneeded oil.

The only other explanation is that oil was spilled when the car was filled up and that has run down the outside of the engine but that depends on how big and fresh the puddle is.

You need to get under the car with a torch, find the drip and follow the oil stain upwards!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , leak , oil