147 jtd16V losing power below 2k rpm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD16V

147 jtd16V losing power below 2k rpm

hi all,

my 147 decided to start playing games this evening. as soon as I'm running on a low gear, particularly below 2k rpm, e.g. from standstill the 147 has the power of a fiat 126 bis and if I press the pedal to try and accelerate it either almost switches off or else starts stammering almost to a halt. if I manage to get it to over 2k rpm then it starts getting power as usual. I will be taking it to my alfa expert tomorrow but thought to post here too. On the phone the alfa guy told me I must have some ecr valve stuck :S as it is smoking black when I press the accelerator pedal below 2k rpm and it starts losing power. anybody experienced this?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Does this come accompanied by a large amount of black smoke out the back of her?

I'd say you've maybe got a boost leak causing over-rich running and you're feeling it lower in the rev range before the turbo has spooled to capacity.

That or as a general rule of thumb a lack of power below ~2.5krpm can be attributed to sticky EGR valve; so may be worth ruling that out first.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Just check the vnt solonoid hoses. They eventually crack and perish leaking air and give the low boost symptoms you describe. It's the small 10mm pipes down the front. Quite common and worth checking as they are a 2 min fix fore very little money
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 10-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD16V

Hi thanks for your replies. Spot on Artermis it was in fact a clogged egr valve.

Symptoms in case this helps somebody else:
1) no pre-warning... just loses power on low gears until you reach about 2100rpm
2) black smoke (on diesel) if you try to press accelerator pedal on low revs.
3) above 2k rpm power is restored and excess smoke disappears

Joss thanks to you too for the insight. Will surely pay attention to those too now that you told me about them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , jtd16v , losing , power , rpm