High mileage 147's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Swansea
High mileage 147's

Firstly, what is high mileage for a 147?!

Secondly, if I buy one with 82k on the clock (with FSH etc etc) do I need my head testing??
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: High mileage 147's

Providing it has been looked after and serviced correctly a high mileage is not a problem.
AO Member

i bought mine 3 years old with 61,200 on it but felt safe enough that it had a full alfa service history even after the warranty expired and everything appeared to be in good order. things might be a bit worn ie scratched alloys/worn buttons etc but mechanically ive had no bother as it was all motorway miles.

if you need peace of mind buy an after sales warranty, i got a 15 month one from warranty direct for £505.00 and as long as i have teh car serviced in accordance with manufacturers guidelines it even covers sudden failure of things like the clutch/exhaust/battery/brake discs etc which are usually considered wear parts, and most importantly all the electric systems on teh car that were factory fitted

dont let the miles put you off just do the usual, check service history, usual tell tale signs of abuse/neglect and consider getting yourself a warranty to be sure
AO Member

Member car:

Well I bought my 147 2.0 when it was just over 3 years old with 97k on the clock. I admit I wasn't too impressed with the figure however it was all motorway miles, fsh, and in excellent condition - interior and exterior - hard to believe it had done so much.

It still drives fine, though I have to admit it I didn't think it seemed to rev as smoothly as a lower mileage 2.0TS I test drove around the same time as buying the car. Then again, it could be the Autodelta mods that make it louder, making me notice it pick up the revs.

A good idea for me now would be to test drive a non modified low mileage 2.0 TS at my local dealer to compare the difference.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

Before I bought my QV I looked at one that had covered 159,000 miles and the engine sounded perfect. The clutch was on its last legs though..
I wouldn't worry about engine wear as long as the oil has been changed regularly, and the belts done, but check other things like supension at highere mileages. motorways are good for engines but do wear the shockers and bushes out.
AO Member
County: Somerset

PM sent Vetch

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , high , mileage