156 2.4 20v Auxiliary Drive Belt Change HELP! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-14 Thread Starter
County: -
156 2.4 20v Auxiliary Drive Belt Change HELP!

Please. please, can somebody tell me the correct procedure for fitting a drive belt on my 156 2.4 JTD 20v Veloce. So many versions on here, it's confusing?

Also, The inherent low nose and ride height is causing serious problems with kerb damage. Bumper is destroyed, radiator cross member is bent and pulled back, which now, a section of preformed protruding metal higher up the assembly, is the main culprit for shredding my drive belts, when the thing moves when it's caught on high kerbs etc. Currently the car is on 225/45's all-round. Would increasing the tire size to raise the nose, affect or compromise the handling or mpg? Anyone else scraping their nose on basically the road? What size tyre would be a better option? Any ideas, can you get a skid pan for underneath?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Somerset
Had this snag too

Hi there,

Yes, the problem I found with fitting an auxiliary belt to the 2.4 JTD 156, was compressing the spring that's part of the tensioner. The spring is very strong and without a suitable means/a tool to compress it, fitting the belt isn't possible.

I got lucky - special means available in the shape of a 17st Scotsman and a long metal bar! My great old pal, subtlety not anywhere in his make up - shoved the bar against the spring and leaned on it which compressed it superbly. Fitting the belt was then straightforward.

Can't help you much with the problem of whacking the front end on kerbs I'm afraid - my 2003 10V 2.4 JTD ran on standard alloys with 205/55/16 tyres - and apart from the odd little scrape wasn't a problem.

Good luck with this

Andy H
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

The correct procedure is detailed on elearn. Basically, you start by loosening the eccentric tensioner. You then tension the spring loaded pulley with a large spanner (sorry cannot remember size) to the point at which a locking pin (drill bit, screwdriver etc) can be inserted to hold it in position. You then slip belt on and tighten the eccentric pulley until the locking pin slides out. The tricky bit is twisting the eccentric pulley against the belt tension. There are two holes inside it that are designed to accept a peg spanner. I made my own but you should be able to turn it with a couple of drill bits in the holes and a screwdriver turned between the two. The idea is that when correctly tensioned the spring then correctly absorbs all the shakes of the belt without stressing other (expensive and hard to get to) components like the alternator.

Hope that helps,

ps make sure you spring loaded pulley turns freely and is not seized - a common problem.
AO Member
County: Somerset
Hi Keith,

This isn't my post, but I must say how superbly helpful and technically informative your advice to this lady is. Bravo. I'm sure she'll be able to get her snag sorted readily now.

Best regards

Andy H
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Hi VeloceGirl, my 20v also runs on 225/45x17, and is lowered (Eibach springs). Yes I do have problems with speed bumps - especially the "pillow" type, and have ground the nose into the tarmac on a few occasions. Also be careful when parking nose-on to a curb, I've got the bumper trapped on a few occasions and have nearly ripped the bumper off when reversing off the curb.

I do have an Aluminum undertray that protects the sump from being destroyed and despite the rattles I wouldn't be without it. Looking at the damage and scrapes it has more than paid for itself.

Although the car looks better lowered, in hindsight I would have left it on standard Veloce springs and just up-graded the shocks (and anti-roll bars) which I also did.

Hope all that helps, there are loads of members here that will give advice, all you have to do is ask (and filter out the info you really need)

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon | Q2 | KW V1 Coil-overs | Eibach ARB | Wiecher Strut Bar | Wizard Cat-Back

2009 Fiat Panda 100 HP Stealth Edition
AO Member
County: Essex
Don't go near kerbs. I think the tensioner was 24mm and quite some effort to lay down and push with one arm and slip the belt on with the other hand. Took some effort. I club hammer the lower part of the inner wing out the way so I can get a socket on the tensioner, after the front engine mount bolt is loosened quite a bit to lower the engine down to get access to the tensioner. Make sure it don't rust where you wack it, unoticable to the untrained eye lol. You can take the front wheel off for better access, and my method works on 10v, but it can be considered a bit of a bodge way of doing it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20v , auxiliary , belt , change , drive