Alfa 147 gear problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-14 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

Alfa 147 gear problems

I have replaced the plate and the rod as suggested by other users, all was working fine although 4th gear appeared to be a bit spongey. Now unable to get in to 4th, although other gears are working fine. Any suggestions please
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Problems with 4th gear are often down to a build up of swarf inside the gearbox end plate preventing the rod sliding far enough. Loads of threads about it if you try the search function above, but basically unbolt and clean out the end-plate on the gearbox and replace, then top-up the gearbox to replace any lost oil.

Have a look here - very helpful site:
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1210
County: Cheshire
Fourth gear disappeared in my 147 JTD when I went over a Yorkshire anti-tank pothole travelling to Masham from Thirsk. Two garages couldn't restore it to life, and the swarf removal fix wasn't an option. So, no 4th, but not missed, due to the torque available. Then, over a year later, going down the A483 towards Welshpool, and absolutely caning the Bella all the way, coming off a roundabout, accelerating through the gears, I forgot there was no fourth and slammed it straight in and it worked! My wife and I just looked at each other as we realised what had just happened. Then the decision to go out of fourth and try to go in again. It worked like it had never been unavailable, and has done ever since (touch wood/fingers crossed, etc). Ah the joys and unpredictability of Alfas!

Rockin' & Rollin' since 1967![/SIGPIC]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , gear , problems