Buying a GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

Wave Buying a GT

I'm considering buying a GT...more than likely used. From what I have read the 3.2 is a bit nose heavy so I'm looking at the 4 cylinder JTD or 2.0.

What are the pros and cons of these models?

What are the common faults/issues?

What sort of money are they going for?

What are the best colours/trims/options?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: Buying a GT

i would agree the V6 adds noticable weight to the front. i changed from a 2.0L 156 to the V6 GT, and i don't think the GT turns-in quite as well.

having said that, it's FAR from being a dealbreaker, cos in all other regards, the V6 is awesome (well, aside from fuel economy i suppose!). unless the V6 is out of your pricerange, i strongly suggest test-driving one. you are most likely to love it and want it. glorious power, super smooth engine, and intoxicating sound.

i also found the car is quite sensitive to tyre pressures. what i initially thought was terrible turn-in, ended up being front tyre pressures being too low (around 33psi ('cold')); after inflating to the recommended 36psi, it was dancing around with aplomb (relatively).

not knowing where you live, there may be many 'levels' and options to choose from. some features that i personally consider great are:
*rear parking sensors: rearward visibility is fairly limited compared with many cars
*xenon headlights: maybe a bling feature, but a very good one at that
*leather interior: personal choice i suppose
*at least 17" wheels; factory 18s look very nice too

in australia, we have only the choice between the 2.0 JTS with selespeed, and V6 manual. no-brainer really. both are 'fully loaded' with the options/features; only real ommission is the satnav, but that system is not compatible over here.

on paper, the JTD looks great. huge torque, and apparently responds very well to chipping/modding, as you'd expect from a turbo engine.

common faults are mostly those i've read about in these forums, so have a read.
*power window woes: software related?
*creaks/rattles from rear hatch area: usually from chassis flex

colour choice is very subjective. i personally prefer the classic red, black or silver finishes, with either red or tan interior. i have black w/red leather. love it.

good luck in the search. i'm sure you'll come up trumps!

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Hey moyletra, I have the JTD (remapped)and it is awesome.Performance is excellent as is economy-although not the reason for getting it.
Leather is a must.
My one is Gabianno Blue (kind of silvery)which I love although a few ALFISTI seem to think the GT looks better in the darker colours.
Shiny Car makes sense (as usual) with the main points but from long hours reading this Forum I would say that the JTD is a better option than the 2.0 jts but if cash doesn't come into it then the V6 is the way ahead.

If she said "it's me or the Alfa" would you miss her ?
AO Silver Member
County: -

Lipari grey with red leather and 18"s a must. as many goodies as poss after that except the sat nav which is a waste of money.

pretty good build quality (I've had hardly any issues) but check to seee whethr the tail gate rattle has been fixed and the doors properly aligned. Also a minor issue with the aircon dumping inside the passenger footwell, but again this is easily fixed at your dealer.

All in all an amazing and beautiful car. And yes, the Gtd is the model of choice (if you can't afford the 3.2).

"The Drivel Devil'

"On a scale of one to ten, with ten being a sensitive, new-age man and one being a chimp throwing faeces, I'd put you more towards the monkey axis"

- Lips
AO Silver Member

ive got a jtdx best car have owned
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

I've been looking at a metallic black Mar 05 JTD, 17" multispoke alloys, Black leather interior and Bose hi fi with 10 cd autochanger and 42K on the clock.

What sort of value is this on the forecourt?

At present the service book and V5 haven't arrived at the dealer nor has the spare key.

I'm assuming this was a company car and serviced correctly and the V5 will be OK. But...

I'm also going to assume that the key will be "promised" but not turn up! So what is the cost of getting a new key at an Alfa dealership? I sort of remember that Fiat master keys cost an arm and a leg to replace.

Also one of the alloys is quite badly kerbed - Anyone have any idea about what the replacement cost would be?

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

Hi only experience of the GT was gained this week when I test drove a Q2 Jtdm and liked it so much that I bought it. The dealership was pretty honest about the car and even pointed out known problems that have been issues in the past but assured me these were now sorted with the exception of the electric windows. On opening the door the window drops a fraction so as to clear the rubber seal. Sometimes this doesn't happen....I'm not sure if you then rip the seal or the door doesn't open! Anyway they told me the solution was to hold the window open button pressed down for several seconds and this performs a reset and all should be ok after that.

I can't tell you much, if anything about the 3.2 V6 except they no longer produce the GT with this fabulous engine...something to do with noise levels and european law!!

Anyway back to your question about cost. My dealer had just put up for sale an 04 plate, 51k miles, full leather, Jtdm for 12,995.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT