selespeed jumping out of gear staying in 3rd - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-03-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156

selespeed jumping out of gear staying in 3rd

I have a problem with selespeed on Alfa 156 (1999 Model).

The problems started with jumping out of gear in corners or climbing hills (especially both of them) but sometimes also during breaking, while showing "3rd gear engaged".

Then we started having difficulty engaging reverse gear in the morning, it shows "R" as engaged but no movement (but after engaging 1st the reverse was possible again).

Finally we couldn't engage gear at all, so we had to be towed to our garage.

Our garage replaced the gear box after which everything was ok for 15 days (500km), then the same problems reappeared...

Now they are saying that the electronics are the problem and that that now needs to be replaced, and also that this electronics problem had been the cause of the damage to the original gear box.

We paid more than CHF 4500 for the first repair, and now they want a further CHF 3500 to replace the electronics.

We're in a mess - any recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Re: selespeed jumping out of gear staying in 3rd

I can't recommend anything I'm afraid but I feel your pain, I'm currently suffering similar problems, and having extensively researched, the conclusion is to avoid sele's.

Member car:

156 Selespeed

Had exactly the same problems and was ready to scrap the car as repairs were likley to be greater than car value....then Eureka!!!! I found a thread on by "quietfright" where he had these problems and found that the relay which controls the pump was faulty.
The relay is in a place you would never find it without guidance. Its under a cover just to front of battery but cover labels relay as A/C not Selespeed......
I removed the relay and opened it up and found that the contacts were black and burnt....I cleaned them and my fault went away!!
I bought a replacement relay from Alfa for £6.00 and touch wood it seems to have sorted my only £6.00 it's well worth changing the relay anyway before spending a fortune at the garage.
I have an image that I thought might help but cannot upload it for some reason...sorry.
To find the realy stand at front of car and there is a plastic cover over the relays located immediately in front of battery. Remove cover and the realy you are looking for is the red one nearest to you on the right (label on cover says A/C)
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

Originally Posted by sum View Post
Our garage replaced the gear box .....
Please, please tell me you're joking????
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Originally Posted by Wrenched View Post
Please, please tell me you're joking????
I agree!!

They replaced the gearbox which possibly wasn't even faulty and then have the cheek to say that a problem in the electronics is causing gearbox failure again? Absolute rubbish!

If the problem has come back then it is not the gearbox that is faulty and they have replaced it unnecessarily. It is almost 100% certain that the fault in in the selespeed system, either the relay the_robster mentions or pump/actuator problems of some sort.

Does you garage have any experience of selespeed at all? You should get you money back or a free fix as they have replaced your gearbox and it seems like that was unnecessary

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

3rd , gear , jumping , selespeed , staying