147 Motor Control System Failure & misfire - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-09-14 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

147 Motor Control System Failure & misfire

Hello all!

I have the dreaded MCSF on my 2002 1.6 147 which started about a week ago. First sign of trouble was low oil warning - turns out my filler cap rubber was misplaced and looks like it was very slowly leaking into the plug well since my last oil check. Stopped and topped up the oil immediately but a couple of days later the MCSF warning started. Plugged in to MultiECUscan and detected misfire on cylinder 2. Car was running poorly, trouble starting and no guts.

So far I have:

-Put a new coil pack on cylinder 2
-Put on a new set of leads on all 4 cylinders
put in new NGK platinum plugs on cylinder 2 (old plugs were black and grotty). Wanted to cure the misfire before buying a complete set!
- cleaned out the build up of oil in plug wells 1&2

Its running much better and now instead of the management light staying on all the time it beeps intermittently and goes off. The MCSF warning comes on when you put your foot down but goes off again.

I am now at a dead end and do not know what else to do (other than take a hammer to it!). Do you think that the low oil light means some damage was done? Or is there something else I can do? MAF? Another sensor? or is it knackered??

And - stupid question but asking for the sake of my own sanity: are the cylinders in numerical order from left to right? So cylinder 2 will be the 2nd coil pack from the left??

UPDATE: I have tried disconnecting the connector from coil pack 2 whilst running and it made no difference to the idle speed when compaired to disconnecting the others. Would a MAF fault be limited to just 1 cylinder (in my case no2)? Injector problem? I get no MCSF warning when starting, idling or revving when standing. It only comes when you get up the road and stick your foot down!

Last edited by gavint; 03-09-14 at 15:44. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Two things to try are firstly make sure the connectors on both the coil packs (all of them) are clean and have good contact also check and do the same on the injector connectors.
Have you changed the cam cover gasket to stop the oil getting in to the plug wells?
The next step would probably get someone to do a compression test on all the cylinders to see if you have a difference on any of them.
That might help narrow it down and help you stop ripping your hair out
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Oh yeah nearly forgot try swapping the coil pack to another cylinder and do a diag and see if the problem has moved to that cylinder.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , control , failure , misfire , motor , system