Ran out of transmission fluid - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

156 Selespeed

Ran out of transmission fluid

My car is a 2006 156 JTS Selespeed.

This Morning i drove to get new oils etc knowing i likely had none due to the leak i found.
It took me 2.5 hours to get home (15Klms)
During gear change it will go into Neutral. Cant get it back into gear. I have to pull over, turn the car off, wait 10 mins and get going again. If i try to restart straight away i hear the click like it has engaged but it beeps at me and stays in Neutral.
Seems the gears want me to let them cool.

Now i know part of the problem is no oil as i got home and filled it up. I couldnt drain it as i didnt have the correct hex tool but was able to put 2L in before it started spilling out. So i know it had no oil at all.
So i take it for a test drive. Immediately same problem. Pulled over a few times and it got HEAPS better. Very smooth gear changes.
Downshifting is not a problem. Catches everygear everytime.

After 10 minutes of great driving it went back to before. Jumping out of gear when changing.

Now my question is not what is wrong. I have ordered the cable and will be here in 2 days so need to wait to hook it up to check Clutch Rod, accumulator, pump etc.

My question is how long will it take for the new oil to get into all the places it needs to?

Thanks very much for any help.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
On my JTS sele the gearbox fill and drain plugs both need the same 12mm hex key, so not sure how you were able to fill but not drain? Though there isn't much room around the drain plug so you do need a short length of hex.

To answer your question, it won't take any time at all for the oil to get where it needs to. Just fill and go. If you have the correct oil to the correct level and there are still issues then check the sele system as you are suggesting and see what's up. Is the gearbox warning light flashing at all? I assume you've checked the sele oil level (reservoir on left side of engine bay) and it's ok? Your problem could be the sele pump, or maybe the accumulator.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 01-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

156 Selespeed

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with draining was the amount of room. only have about 1cm.
I just checked the bottle and it took about 1.3L. Does it take time to settle so you put more in? or do you think it still had 700ml?

There are no warning lights coming on. Does beep at me when it returns to Neutral from trying to select the gear.
I overfilled the Selespeed oil as i thought it was low but read the wrong side. it still has heaps in now and overflowing but still same problem.
When doing the open door and listen check im getting to 11+ seconds before pumps stops making noise.
The standard clicking is still there.
I was thinking pump or accumulator.
I expect i will find out when i am able to connect to FES when the cable arrives.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fluid , ran , transmission