When is leather not actually leather? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-14 Thread Starter
County: Surrey
When is leather not actually leather?

Hi all, when I bought my GT Cloverleaf with "black leather interior" in January there was an annoying little nick in the leather on the drivers seat, classic position, half way up the side support. The damage at that time was about 5mm across. Despite me being very careful to avoid making it worse, it has since grown to about 30mm x 10mm. At this size I can clearly see that it is actually some sort of vinyl/plastic, not leather. Has anyone else come across this? Could it be that some panels are leather but others are not?

I have been looking around for a replacement seat for a few months but without success. I did get a promising response from alfaspareparts.com (through 1stChoice Spares) but after exchanging a number of calls/e-mails, it has now dried up and I haven't heard any more for 10 days. Anyone here know of a late GT Cloverleaf being broken at the moment?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
I think possibly 2 reasons for this the first being the cst of leather on anything other than seat facings .
The second and could be the main one is that the side of the seat has an airbag so it could be to do with the burst strength.
I am sure there will be a debate but that would be my best guess.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Pretty sure I saw a black leather interior available on the Autolusso ebay store. They may not sell just the driver's seat but it's worth checking.
Club Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

147 Q2 Sport

Most manufacturers use PVC instead of leather for parts of seats, the actual content of leather only has to be about 10% to be classed as leather seats.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Also a lot of leather these days looks like plastic.

It is stretched until it is very thin, and rolled to give it a smooth texture which affects the durability.

In the old days of classic cars the leather was often a couple of MM thick. Not now unfortunately.

The best leather seats in terms of quality I have had in a car were the momo seats in my first Alfa 156. The leather was relatively thick, and all parts of the seats including the rear pockets were proper leather. My First BMW 5 series had good leather as well.

Some of the worst leather seats I have seen were in my Nissan 200SX, and my Dads Merc CLS. Neither felt very durable, and both looked like plastic.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Usually only front facing and seat is leather sides etc PVC I had an ST with a torn bolster took to local seat upholsterer he said common theses days for not all the seat to be leather even on Mercedes cost me £120 to have replaced including seat removal couldn't tell it been done after .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT