Selespeed System Failure even when not changing gears!!! PLEASE HELP - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Selespeed System Failure even when not changing gears!!! PLEASE HELP

A video of the error can bee seen here

In the first 12 seconds of the video the message appears twice as the car begins to accelerate from a complete stop with the first gear engaged.

A more complete description of the problem follows:

The message "Selespeed System Failure" comes on and goes off even when I am not making an attempt to change gears. The gears would shift but with some "hesitation" and when the new gear is eventually engaged it feels like a "slam in the back". That is, when the new gear is selected it feels as though the car does not engage it immediately, and then when it does engage the selected gear it feels as if the clutch and the accelerator are not synchronised so the gear change is not smooth at all. The problem generally appears in gear changes from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. The message “Selespeed System Failure” does not necessarily appear when the gear changes are jerky.

The gear changes are not always jerky. The problem appears and disappears at random. However, the failure messages and rough gear changes appear in clusters. That is, when the selespeed failure message appears on a given day, it is followed by many jerky gear changes and many failure messages. When I park the car and restart it later in the day the problem may not re-appear until a few days later.
Sponsored Links
Re: Selespeed System Failure even when not changing gears!!! PLEASE HELP

can anyone help Chris out ?

Member car:

Alfa 147

Re: Selespeed System Failure even when not changing gears!!! PLEASE HELP

Hi Chris,
I had a very similar prob to yours,Mine would give me that error every 10 seconds or so and never stopped.
My gear change wasint affected too badly but it would sometimes drop
into N or flash a gear-indicating low pressure.
The examiner showed that my pressure in the sele sys was too high or too low and the error was caused by that.......
Unfortunately they never knew how to fix it so i had to pay for a new actuator, not fun .....
i would recomend that u check sele oil level and take her in, get the to check pressure levels, you may be lucky and only have a dead pressure sensor.

Alfa Romeo-The heart of a Ferrari & Brains of a BMW

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

changing , failure , gears , selespeed , system