New Stereo - No Power? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

Help New Stereo - No Power?

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been addressed before (feel free to post a link to the thread!!)...

I bought my hubby a new Sony stereo for his GT.
The wiring is identical and it was easy to remove the old steeo and replace with the new one, and the wires were perfect and connected.

But there is no power.

He tried several more times and gave up. So he reconnected the old stereo and that works!?

What do we need? What are we missing? What needs to be done to get the Sony stereo to work please??!

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
First off, you need to check the power.
In most 147/GTs, firstly there is no switched +12 available in the connector, only a permanent +12. Secondly the location of the power connections in the ISO plug is switched from standard ISO.

ISO A4 : Not connected
ISO A7 : permanent +12

Standard ISO
ISO A4 : permanent +12
ISO A7 : switched +12

So you probably need to switch a4/a7, and get a switched +12 from f.i. the lighter to get the radio to switch on/off with the ignition....

secondly, if you have Bose, you need to make sure the amp switches on. In the small yellow connector there is a single wire. You need to apply a switched +12 to this for the remote switch on of the Bose amp. You can usually use the accessory power output of the radio for this.

Last edited by jwq; 21-08-14 at 14:47.
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

There is a sticky thread in the "ICE Blue and ME Forum" it is the very first item at the top of the first page - this gives comprehensive info about the possible issues.

However I recently fitted an ancient JVC radio in my GT (to see how hard it would be to upgrade) and it just worked with no alteration to the wiring. The only difference being it doesn't "auto switch off" when the key is turned off.

So my thought is that the fault is with the radio. In the thread referred to above an issue is noted where the permanent and the switched live supplies need to be swapped in the plug - but that wasn't the case for me - and anyway that would only cause the radio to lose all memory settings when the ignition is off; it should still work when the ignition is on. Indeed mine works with or without the ignition on (it looks as if the switched live has been taken out of the connector on mine anyway - I think the body computer deals with all that kind of thing on the factory fit radio).

I'd check if there is some security procedure needed with the radio when fitting it for first use, sometimes the main fuse in the unit isn't fully pushed home. In my JVC unit there are two possible places side by side for the fuse and I needed to switch mine to the other location (no idea why).

Beyond that I'd try the radio with another 12v supply to see if it does indeed work or contact the supplier.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

power , stereo