Problems selecting reverse - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-08-14 Thread Starter
County: Louth
Problems selecting reverse

2005 alfa 156 1.6TS. Love the car (just acquired)... but... Can't select reverse... without some difficulty.
Id I repeatedly go through the gearbox I can get it. Sometimes cleanly, sometimes just about in. Seems like it's not finding the gate. All other gears light and smooth no problem and once found I can happily go back and forth in 1st and reverse but when I go through the box I have the problem again. The gear lever receiver under the boot is perfect. Linkage at the gearbox seems all good and lubricated with no play. I've been told it could be a cable routing problem.
Any ideas guys?
Had a '98 sportivo before and multiple 'suds so use dto th eodd problem and prepared to put up with/solve them for the unequaled driving experience...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

I had the same sort of issue with mine. Still do to a lesser extent.
The cable route is pretty important and can restrict the movement of the lever assembly. Make sure the ball joints are on properly too.
Is the clutch ok? Sounds like it might be a less than top notch clutch.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 25-08-14 Thread Starter
County: Louth
Thanks for the input. I changed the gearbox oil yesterday and it has improved somewhat. I also have top hat bushings on order as there may be a little play there from what I can see. Any idea on how to check for cable routing? Ball joints are on properly.
I don't know the history of the clutch as I recently acquired the car and this is the last 'character' to sort out. All forward gears are smooth and clutch engagement seems right. Very slick in fact.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problems , reverse , selecting