156 TS clutch problem?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Drunk 156 TS clutch problem??

Hi, all. I have a 2002 156TS 1.8. I had the clutch replaced about 18 months ago and I am almost certain they changed the slave aswell. Not long after I had an issue of my biting point being really low and struggling to get in gear when I first started the car, the clutch also stuck 3/4 of the way up. I returned to the garage who changed the clutch master cylinder. This worked great for a few months before happening again? the garage claimed faulty part and replaced again. Job done! or so you would think.

The garage I previously used has now closed down. I had isssues again with the clutch and the garage I now use noticed a couple of bolts missing on my gearbox(snapped). They tried to remove them by welding a nut on but no joy. so tightened up the remaining bolts quoting me 2-300 to remove gearbox and drill out old bolts. this resolved my clutch issues again, and the garage suggested if I did not want to commit to a large bill they could just tighten the gearbox when needed.

Sorry to go on!!

My clutch once again started to bite very low, struggle to get in gear when cold and catch 3/4 of the way up. So I had gearbox tightened again, which was apparently "not to bad", and this made no difference at all.

So my question is, Has the loose gearbox affected the clutch master cylinder?(due to the 2 changes of this working previously) and if I change this and have gearbox tightened/fixed will this be the end of my issues?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am just trying to keep going with this car until I get the funds to change, but after a very tough year health wise(no sick pay either!) I just dont know how much longer I can hang on.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 22-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

No replies yet so thought i would update.

The garage attempted to bleed the system with no joy, so I told them to go ahead and change the master cylinder knowing that it may or may not work. Master was changed and car is running great, clutch is a little stiff but we now believe there is a problem with the slave which is affecting the clutch and in turn damaging the master cylinder! I didn't want to go down the route of a permanent fix because I just dont think its worth it cause it could possibly need a new clutch and slave as well as the bolts drilling out on the gearbox. Would be a great car for anyone who can do the work themselves but I just don't wanna fork out the expensive labour costs.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Sorry to hear that. Esp the whole nut thing.

If you wanted to keep the car going it would be cheaper for a garage to drop a new one in rather than faff. But as you say it's the labor that's going to sting.

So you just going to get by with a new master.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , clutch , problem