156 SW clunking, clutch wear and 470kg loads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 26-02-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

156 SW clunking, clutch wear and 470kg loads

Hi to the lot of you!

Well, since I last posted on AO, I've moved on a bit!
I'm about to get married in June and I've just arranged to pickup all of the wine for the bash in France - all 240 bottles!
We purchased an '03 156 SW 1.9 M-Jet late last year - it complements the 145 which is STILL going well - and we love the power of the 156's engine.

Anyhow, the 156 had a run-in with pot-hole on a back-road and damaged a tyre and rim, and since then has had a clunking sound on uneven surfaces coming from the front nearside.
By chance this morning, I found myself at the Alfa spare-parts desk looking for a slave cylinder for the 145 (she had an automotive urinate on the driveway over the weekend) and I asked them what they thought about the noise. The advice was that the roll-bar drop links were likely to be the offending article, but that the twin wishbones could also be at fault.
I had already taken a look at the car on Saturday between showers and rugby matches (ahem!) and the wishbones appeared fine to me. So, from reading other comments on the site, I'll try remove the drop-links and tie up the bar and test.

My other issue is that with all this wine (330kg's approx and 150kg passengers/baggage) I'm going to be putting quite a load on the clutch. The car is capable of this weight, having a max of loading of 495kg including driver - so we have 30kgs to play with (I'm light framed... ). When accelerating hard with no weight load in 4th, the clutch will slip above 3000 RPM, and this worries me somewhat. Has anybody had experience with shifting this much load on a clutch exhibiting such symptoms... Am I a fool to even consider ignoring the issue before setting off?

Thanks as ever for anybody who had advice!

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."

Last edited by McGuinn; 26-02-07 at 15:21. Reason: Subscribe to mail.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: 156 SW clunking, clutch wear and 470kg loads

You will hate this but if it slips now with no weight in it, what are the chances it will give out on you when in the middle of France and fully laden?

I think you already know the answer...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 470kg , clunking , clutch , loads , wear