help please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-02-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 156

help please

Hi all just brought my first alfa 156 1.6 t spark, i brought it at the right price because the engine has threw a con rod, i not too worried as i spent 10years as an engine re-conditioner but need some advice from an alfa expert please, i am now looking for an engine, is it possible to fit an 1.8 or 2.0 engine straight in or could i combine a 1.8 bottom end with a 1.6 top end?
also there is some colour fading to some panels (yes its red) anyone got any tips for this

i had a quick look at the web sight looks great! thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: help please

Hi Dave, that sounds like a good project.
I have done the same thing with a Boxer. I was able to keep the head and just found a new block & pistons.
One went on eBay a few days ago for a 2.0 TS for just over £100.
I believe the heads are the same across the range but there were 2 different types, alloy and plastic top.
ePer would help you figure out what bits are common to each model. There are also a few people on this forum who know the TS down to the last detail. I'm afraid I don't.

Red paint depends on the age. Earlier red cars had a clear laquer so you can't polish the colour back, but I believe that later ones are red up to the top layer so can be brought back to the right colour.

"The engine revs like a fat hamsterís heart, releasing its goodness in thick blobs all over the power band, a task made all the more accessible by a gearshift thatís as easy as a Northern *****." Troy Queef 2009

welcome to AO Dave...congrats on your new purchase...

hopefully someone will be along in a mo to help you the meantime here are a few links that will hopefully help you out in sourcing parts etc...

all the best

County: Durham

Member car:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT