147 Clutch pedal stays half way after released - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-14 Thread Starter
County: -
147 Clutch pedal stays half way after released

Hello there!
I have my 147 for a while and recently I experienced a small problem. After I start the car in the first 5-10 minutes of driving when I press the clutch down and afterwords release the pedal goes back just half the way and I have to use my foot to bring it back to arbitrary position. Doesn't seem to affect the work of the clutch and it goes back to normal after a while. Any ideas what to do?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

probably a leaking cylinder. On the diesels there are 2 of them. One attached to the clutch pedal in the drivers footwell - rub your fingers over it to find leaking oil. The other (on the diesels) is under the battery, connected to the actuator arm. Harder to get to, so check the easy one first.
AO Member
Slave on 147 TS is concentric to the clutch release and expensive to fix (it's a gearbox off job). Hopefully, your problem is with the master, behind the pedal. A new one will cost about £50 and would be a 15 minute job if your engine wasn't in the way. There are several threads on here about replacing and bleeding the system (it might be worth trying to bleed it first).

Mine was sticking at the bottom of its travel momentarily until the retaining pin (R clip) on the pedal broke and the cylinder dropped off. Since then it's been okay (so far anyway), so it might be worth trying to replicate what happened on mine. Take the R clip out, disconnect the cylinder, let it drop to the floor and leave it there for a while, then reverse the procedure. I don't know why this helped with mine, but it may be that there was some air trapped at the top of the cylinder that dispersed back through the plumbing when the cylinder was inverted. There's only a slim chance it will help, but it's a free fix if it does. It will at least give you a good opportunity to inspect the cylinder for leaks.
If you have cruise control, you may need to reset the switch - search for my recent post on this, where a couple of members were very helpful to me.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 08-08-14 Thread Starter
County: -
Thank you very much mates! Will try soon enough!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , clutch , half , pedal , released , stays