Buying 156 JTS... all sorts of questions first...! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Buying 156 JTS... all sorts of questions first...!

Hi Guys

I've got a 2000 model 156 Selespeed and am looking at trading it in for a 2002 156 JTS manual. Main reason is the need (yes, need!) for a real manual!!

There are a few defects on the new car that I need to fix, little fiddly things but I'd love some help with them:

1. On the climate control, the outer two dials for temperature seem to "click" as you turn the dials. The middle one (fan speed) rotates freely without the clicking. Is this how it's made or is the clicking mechanism broken for the middle dial?

2. For the little storage pocket area in the front door (driver's side), the felt lining is badly damaged. Does anyone who has taken their door apart know if it's easy to replace just this pocket (seems to be a separate part but I'm not sure)?

3. The volume and station controls on the steering wheel are badly worn out... if I were to buy new buttons for the steering wheel, does the wheel have to come off to replace those buttons?

4. One rear air vent is broken, are they easy to remove (do they just pull out) or does the whole centre rear console have to come out?

5. The sunroof flap (the cloth covered part) is REALLY loose and can just slide back into the roof (difficult to get out) ... is this easy to fix?

6. Now the big questiion... the info screen in the centre of the dash ( between the air vents ) take literally 15 mins to display from starting the car... does anyone know if this is normal?
Any fixes?

Lastly... how are the JTS engines on reliability? It seems to go a bit low when idling - is this normal?
What do people thing about the JTS engine vs the twin spark engine?

Thanks heaps for any help you can give!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Buying 156 JTS... all sorts of questions first...!

I swapped my 1.8TS for a 2.0 JTS and it was a great car (until it fell off Snake Pass backwards at 60......)

Loads more bottom end torque than the 1.8 and I liked the upgraded interior.

Mine's now been gone for 9 months, but I'll try and remember some things to help....

In answer to your questions:

1) No the outer aircon dials don't click. (I don't remember the middle one clicking either, but I can't be sure...)

2) The pocket is an integral part of the door panel moulding (I think). I had mine off but didn't spot any obvious separate part....

3) My buttons started to wear too, but I can't advise on replacement I'm afraid.

4) & 5) Can't help I'm afraid.

But 6) NO! The info panel should come on straight away when you turn on the ignition. That is an issue.

In general though I liked the JTS. Its basically a TS engine but with a different fuel system, so it sufferes the same foibles as the TS did.
My problem with my JTS was that the engine mgmt light used to come on regularly about three or four times a year.

The garage checked it out twice (once under warranty, once cost me an hours labour...) They reckoned the sensors on the JTS are far too sensitive. It was a cat sensor that went out of tolerence for a moment each time and that locked the warning light on.

In the end I spent 37 on eBay for a engine mgmt cable & software to allow me to reset the light myself.

Other than that, the car was great. Ended up swapping it for an Audi A3 S-Line 2.0TDi with the DSG gearbox (I always fancied a Selespeed but never got one...) and that's a very different car, but I look back fondly on both my Alfa 156s....

I'd worry about the faults on that one though - suggest you try and find another example. The car's OK in general but that one sounds iffy...

2004 Silver Audi A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG (eBay!)

OEM Xenons (retro-fitted), PIAA silicone wipers, integrated Parrott CK3000 bluetooth phone kit, O2 XDA2 PDA/phone with TomTom wired GPS

Ex - 1999 156 1.8TS SP1 (1999-2003) + 2002 156 2.0JTS Turismo (2004-2006) (fell off Snake Pass backwards at 60mph...)
AO Member

Just been out to the garage (where I've still got the old cloth interior that I swapped for a leather one).....

The door pocket is indeed a separate part - fastened to the door trim by a couple of screws on the inside.

Also, yes the rear vents do just push out from the centre console, cos I've one of them too as well as four door panels....
AO Member

hi all three of my aircon dials click but they are not at all jerky and its quite a quiet subtle click, i think they are meant to.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buying , jts , questions , sorts