a quick guide on how to refurbish the headlights on ur 156. great if ur headlights are badly stone-chipped and/or the lacquer is peeling.
1pc 800grit sandpaper
1pc 1500grit sandpaper
autosol silver polish
meguiars scratchX or plastX
light car shampoo solution (as a lubricant)
lots of clean rags
process (for plastic lenses only):
1. use liberal amts of masking tape and mask around the headlights so as not to scratch the paint when u go at it with the sandpaper
2. attack the headlights with the 800grit sandpaper. be sure to wet it with the car shampoo solution as a lubricant. most plastic lenses will have a layer of lacquer on it. this is the layer that gets yellow. you need to sand ALL of this lacquer off (takes quite a while). oh, and ur lenses will look all cloudy and ****ed up. dont **** ur pants yet. its ok.
3. once uv got all the lacquer off (when the lenses dry, the surface looks even without any darker patches), go at it with the 1500 grit sandpaper. be sure to cover the entire area till the surface is as smooth as possible. the lenses shd be clear now. if its still cloudy, panic!
4. just kidding. the lenses will be cloudy after the sandpaper. now attack it with the autosol. u will see the lenses start to clear up. use the autosol until it doesnt get any clearer. basically, ur grinding off the top layer of plastic and moving from rougher to finer grit material.
5. then use the brasso on the lenses. they shd be almost completely clear now. in fact, ur arms will be about ready to fall off at this pt and u shd be telling urself that after the brasso shd be about good enuff. but dont stop.
6. finally, use the scratchX (if u oredi got it) or plastX (preferred). the lenses shd be completely cleaned up and clear and smooth to the touch after this step. all ur scratches shd be gone, along with all but the deepest stone chips. not only that, they'll smell good, too (if u use plastX)! voila, new headlights at the cost of elbow grease!
disclaimer: redd makes or implies no warranties on this process. if it fecks up, ur on ur own buddy!
before - scratches, stone chips, chunks of lacquer peeling off, its a mess!
800 grit sandpaper - lacquer half gone - note the shadow:
1500 grit sandpaper - lacquer all gone - no shadow:
after - voila, the result speaks for itself!