alfa ownership for 3 months and already probs!!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-02-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 147

Warning alfa ownership for 3 months and already probs!!!!!

hi guys.some help if possibly?i own a 147,51reg,2.0 twinspark with 53k.
firstly the dreaded cambelt,what needs changing?both belts and the 3 tensioners?also prices for the kit, i've quotes varying from 70-160 +plus fitting +vat...
secondly i've noticed 3rd gear can be a pain to engage sometimes,is this a common fault on 147's?
what is the solution,please don't tell me it's a gearbox out jobbie!
thirdly a fairly loud knocking noise from underneath possibly front passenger side?
could this be antiroll bar bushes?
and finally does anyone know of a decent garage that could possibly do said work in the cumbria area, ideally, without selling a kidney to pay for it
any info would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham
Re: alfa ownership for 3 months and already probs!!!!!

On a car of that age and mileage I'd get the variator changed too as the belts have to come off to access it.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

I assume your car is manual?? What age?? I've posted a description of what I did to our '02 147 when the gearshift seized up here somewhere. It made the thing utterly vile to drive and tranformed it when I fixed it. One of the cables operates a rocking lever mounted on top of the gearbox which seizes. I put the seizure down to a build-up of aluminium corrosion on the insode of the bracket, crushing the plastic bushes onto the shaft. Hence it is likely to happen after a few years, not immediately. I took it apart, polished out the bore and reassembled, with some vaseline as I wanted to discourage moisture from starting the process again immediately. Your 2-litre has two toothed belts, one cambelt and one driving the balancer shafts. You are well advise to change both of them as a failure of the balancer shaft belt, while not dangerous to the engine in itself, can take out the cambelt with ugly consequences. On the way,the auxiliary belt needs to be removed, which drives the alternator, power steering etc. I doubt this has been changed yet and if it's around '02 like ours it will be cracking, like ours. Changed it on Sunday. It's necessary to change the tensioners/idlers for these belts, as they fail more frequently that do the belts themselves, certainly according to these posts. I must admit though, I haven't changed the auxiliary belt tensioner/iidler yet. but I'm keeping my ears open for any noises. I have to say, on our 147 with now 47,000 on the clock, each tensioner I have spun gives the feeling of being slack and rather dry.
So in summary, the cambelt kit I bought was around the 70pound mark, so that accounts for your lower figure. If your supplier sussed you had a 2-litre he might have assumed you were also after the balancer belt kit, which would be about the same again, hence the upper figure. That's from an independent supplier. Cost to fit??? That seems to vary - see many similar threads.
Funnily enough your car seems to exhibit exactly the same faults ours did. We bought it some 2-years ago with about 30k mls. A cocophany of knocking from the front suspension came with it which I only recently began to address. I've reduced it by half by replacing the anti-roll bar links (at the front) but the rest is the anti-roll bar bushes themselves. Sadly this is more involved and, I've read here, means relacing the whole anti-roll bar and dropping the front subframe to achieve it. Needless to say I'm saving this one.
Get your belts done if there;s no evidence that they have been and do the gearchange. The first will give great peace of mind and the second will tranform the thing from the drivers point of view. Getting rid of the suspension noises will be the icing on the cake!

Doesn't say that in the manual
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Don't tell me that I just bought my 156 a week ago!

You should be fine as long as you don't ignore the cambelt change, I've got pretty much the same deal - need a cambelt change and full service, and I've got the squeak on the front suspension. Basically, I think it's going to have to be a 500 job, but that should keep me going for a good year and then the cambelt is only a change every 36000 miles.

The suspension is pretty cheap to fix but I think I might have to get my hands dirty rather than pay someone else probably 3 times the cost of the parts!

Good luck though. Can't help with a local garage for you, but if you come down south you should check out the Royston garage!
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-02-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 147

thanks for the help.judging by other posts it seems trusting your instincts is the way to go.i've done the opposite and booked her in for cambelt done at the cheapest garage i could find(lol)he has done work on alfas before.fingers crossed eh!
really can't afford main dealer prices...see below,

insurance is due mid march ,as is mot ,as is tax ,wedding to pay for double glazing to pay for.i will stop there before i start crying.
i will let you's know how i get on with car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , months , ownership , probs