Problem with my 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 18-02-07 Thread Starter
Problem with my 156

I am a new kid here. I own alfa 156 1.8TS 2000 model.Done 125000 miles.Had cambelt done at 70000 miles. Going to work on friday, alas !!! cambelt snapped. Car is in workshop I am not sure what to expect, any body any ideas any words of consolation anything to help.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Re: Problem with my 156

50'000 miles since last change sounds about the average for a failure.

alfa have changed the recommended replacement interval to every 36k or 3 years, they just dont seem to have told many of their customers! its always worth arguing with alfa that if the car is fully alfa serviced then there to blame for not informing you of this change but few have been succesful on this front, some have managed to get alfa to agree a 50/50 settlement tho.

have you taken her to a alfa dealer or local indie? local indie your most likely looking aprox £1500 im afraid, alfa even more.

general damage when this happens is

- belts obviously
- tensioners
- variator (does the 1.8 have a variator?)
- bent intake and outlet valves (varies how many)
- damaged valve guides

in a worse case you could be looking at a damaged intake or exhaust header, replacement head, shot bottom end bearings... in which case either scrapping the car or sourcing a replacement engine may prove abetter bet, especially given the high mileage yours has covered.

when the garage is doing the work be sure to get them to check the bottom end bearings as these can become damaged and cause bottom end failure after a few thousand miles... NOT something you want!

other than that i cant say much. my belt went last year, cost was set at about £1400... that was new belts, tensioners, variator, all valves and all guides plus the head being reworked. was lucky to not damage the bottom end.

best of luck mate and keep us informed.

welcome to the club (sorry its on such bad news!)

County: Durham

Member car:

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 18-02-07 Thread Starter

Thanks Marco!

Its a independent garage {RAC could tow my car upto 10 miles from breakdown and it happened on M27 junction 11} so nearest one was BoarHunt in Fareham.Nice of them asthey provided me with a car like thing to drive around in courtesy{its Rover (****y)Citycar.
I have not even heard about this Boar Hunt company Any one have any idea.
Rough estimate they gave me is around 900 to 1000 plus VAT
AO Member

Welcome stalybridgeman to ao, sorry to hear about your probs, other members who have had belts snap seem to be paying on ave £1500.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

Many threads DO NOT make light reading so far as cambelt failures are concerned. Sympathy. If you've not noticed, many threads hereabouts recommend replacement of the big end bearings where piston/valve contact has occurred, subsequent bottom-end failures apparently occur.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

sorry to hear what happened - similar thing happened to me on 44k cost £1500!! would advise a cambelt change every 36k which I believe Alfa now rec.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , problem