156 for sale on classified - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
156 for sale on classified

Hi All

Got this on the classified ads but wanted to share more information

Looks like my faithful Alfa that I have used for the past 12 months has to go, I have a company car coming my way in a few weeks and wife can't drive a manual. She is also in need of some work for its next MOT and as a non mechanically minded person cannot justify the costs. As such I'm selling her for spares/repair although she is drivable and will get you home without a glitch. She has never failed to start or let me down and having been remapped to 194hp it is a properly quick car. The engine and gearbox are fantastic and interior is very good considering the miles she's done. She is only MOT's until 21st sept and tax has just expired.

The good bits are as follows;
Rust free body but a few scraps and chips. I've tried to photo all of the obvious ones. Was quoted about 100 to tidy it all up and then the bodywork would look very good.
Engine and gearbox are very good (when put on the rolling road pre map it showed 151hp which I felt was impressive considering she'd done 149k at that point). Always starts and changes gear sweetly.
Interior is Grey leather in excellent condition. There is a little wearing on the drivers seat in the middle section and some marks on the door arm rest probably due to myself and the previous owner wearing cufflinks on our shirts.
Bose stereo system
Previous owner was a doctor and spared no expense in servicing and repairs.
I have kept service intervals up to date and stamped the service book.
The previous owner spent a fair amount fixing her up before me including new clutch, upper and lower suspension arms and drop links (to be fair the kit was a cheapy off ebay so is a little squeaky)
Just had an oil change and EGR removed and cleaned out
New thermostat fitted November last year
Good tyres all round
Had it remapped last November and done 15,000 miles with no issues, this has made a massive difference to the performance it is now properly quick and returns over 55mpg on my frequent runs up to London and back if driven at legal speed limits
No permanent warning lights on the dash and everything electrical works (apart from issues mentioned below)

The bad bits;
There is a knocking and been advised the ARB bushes need replacing

She smokes a bit under full load, could be the remap as was fine before although suspect maybe a split hose or air leak somewhere

The aircon isn't cold, in my experience a regas has never resolved the issue, so don't want to BS anyone with the regas claims. Not looked to see if its still holding pressure.

The boot does not release on the key fob but works fine on the release catch in the car
There are two keys but only one programed to the central locking
Occasional warning errors when using the handbrake before coming to a dead stop
Occasional TC error although this only ever happens when I'm performing a three point turn at the top of my road and its a fairly extreme angle
Occasional water in diesel warning light but only when very low on fuel and often goes out after 60 seconds
Cambelt is shown as changed at 118k but no receipts to back this up. I'd suggest a cambelt and waterpump change for peace of mind
The Information Centre display panel works when cold but fades as it warms up. I find blowing cold air through the centre vents will bring it back to life. a common issue I believe.

Taking the above into account I am willing to listen to offers. The alternative is the scrap yard which I think is a little bit sad all things considered.

Please feel free to ask questions or call me on 07738 731737. Bear in mind I'm not mechanically minded and do not want to mislead anyone. Viewings and test drives more than welcome.

Last edited by layfs; 30-07-14 at 09:53.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 30-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa 1.jpg (45.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 2.jpg (44.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 3.jpg (35.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 4.jpg (38.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa 5.jpg (54.7 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 31-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

C'mon guys surely someone can rescue this car? I'm not looking for a lot of money just don't want to see it go to the scrap yard.......
What an offer in the region of though...people don't like making blind offers...They prefer to have an idea to work to
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Local chap picking it up this afternoon so hopefully I will see it driving around the streets for many more years to come.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , classified , sale