156 2.4 20V - Vibrations under load (DMF or driveshafts?) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bern
Hmmm 156 2.4 20V - Vibrations under load (DMF or driveshafts?)

Hello everyone

My 2005 156 2.4 20V has recently decided to develop a nasty vibration under load and Im trying to determine if it is the driveshafts or DMF.
  • The vibrations already occur at moderate engine loads, i.e. 50% TPS and dont seem engine speed dependent. At higher speeds the whole car starts to drone...
  • Is mostly felt through the floorwell, not necessarily through pedals or gear stick
  • The vibrations are also noticeable during overrun although less intense.
  • Vibrations stop when coasting declutched, but still slight vibrations when braking with the clutch still depressed! (not the DMF then?)
  • Idle is fine, also revving the engine while standing causes no abnormal vibrations. Clutch does not slip and there is no rattling, juddering, etc.
  • There is no knocking when driving L/R circles with full lock applied. Load changes are fine, no bangs or knocks, etc.
All of this makes me think Ill have the driveshafts replaced first. However the first time they were replaced (50000km / 31000 miles ago), they made the typical clack, clack, clack sound and knocked on full steering lock. This time its clearly more a vibration / wheel wobbling sensation during acceleration and deceleration.

Im glad for any experiences or advices you can share with me (at least to get me away from the thought of having the DMF and clutch changed )

PS: The only other issue I didn't take care yet is that the ARB has some side-to-side play which sometimes causes bangs when driving over bumps at an angle. However this clearly shouldn't cause any vibrations while driving on even roads, right?

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire
Find a good garage and ask them to re pack the inner cv boots with grease!

I had this issue on mine when I got it nearly 30k ago I did this too it and the vibrations have not being back since
AO Member
County: Essex
What he said. The half throttle gave it away for me lol. Check your tracking to

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20v , accelaration , dmf , driveshafts , load , vibration , vibrations