I returned from my snowboard holiday this weekend and went to pick up my baby from Avanti in Ipswich this morning...
THEY FIXED IT!
I'm a little pee'd off with Alfaworkshop for not noticing this one, but the pressure problems with the selespeed was because, instead of the usual clear selespeed fluid, was bright red powersteering fluid!
Of course I didn't know if was supposed to be red or not, but you would have thought that when I asked Alfa workshop to calibrate the system and look for anything obvious, they would have at least checked the fluid, for levels or something?!
Also Avanti changed two potentiometers on the actuator (they tell the system which gear you are in) to cure the random gear numbers being displayed. these are apparently £90 each new, he found some used ones and charged me £45 each.
They also drained the gearbox and found a lot of metal filings! So that's been filled back up with gearbox oil, and molislip too (whatever it's called) and I have to say, all in all, it changes smoother than it ever did before now, and all seems to be fixed.
I got them to give it a general checkover too, as I've not had it long, and don't want any more nasty surprises. I got as little list of bushes and things that could maybe do with attention, though by no menas are they urgent jobs.
The total came to £290 which is less than I was bracing myself for! I'm glad I didn't go the DIY route, it would have got me nowhere! (though maybe the fluid would have at least been sele stuff after I'd paid out for the pump repair!)