2001 156 Selespeed 56000miles with Transmission Problem - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Mario Andretti
Re: 2001 156 Selespeed 56000miles with Transmission Problem

You have wear on 4th synchro in my opinion and this is why a reset worked for a while but do another one and take note of the selection and engagement readings and drive the car again till it acts up and do another reset and note the measurements again. If you see a variance this will indicate that the problem is gearbox related, hope this really helps...
Sponsored Links
County: Opolskie

Sorry for the delay, as I wrote a couple of weeks ago the gearbox still skipped 4th. So I took it to my trustworthy mechanic.

First, it turned out that the rpm sensor was fine. The problem was that it didn't always skip 4th gear, sometimes but not always. But it also happened with engine turned off, key in MAR position, so he could replicate the situation and check everything.

After a couple of hours (he was very thorough) it turned out that the gearbox (manual part of it) is perfectly fine. The actuator is to blame. So he tried to find out what is wrong with it, unfortunately without any conclusive information. He switched places of the hydraulic plungers, cleaned everything and... the actuator works fine. I've been driving it for 2 weeks now and it skipped 4th only once. This supports everything stoyce suggested in previous posts.

So the problem is solved for now, I'm in the process of finding a working actuator right now for a reasonable price, you know, just in case.

Thanks for your help guys.

Previously: Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 SporTronic and Honda Civic 1.4i EJ9
Now: Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 T.S. Selespeed and my faithful Honda Civic 1.4i EJ9
County: Wexford

stoyce: i've received & read your document, its seem to be idiot proof.

the car i'm dealing with is 120 miles away, its not my own.

the owner is going to take the battery tray out & try located the point of oil leakage, hopefully today.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2001 , miles , problem , selespeed , transmission