147 2 ts - What's triggered all these error codes? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
147 2 ts - What's triggered all these error codes?

Replaced faulty ignition switch today which was preventing car from starting. Car now starts but for reasons unknown to me it is in limp mode, engine malfunction light is on and thrown up the following errors:

P 0220 Accelerator potentiometer invalid signal/Fatal/Light On
P 1221 Accelerator potentiometer track 1 -signal low/Fatal/Light On
P 0340 Camshaft position sensor signal high/Fatal/Light On
P 0100 Air flow meter signal low/Fatal/Light On

When attempting to clear the errors with Multiecuscan, the first 2 do not clear at all and the remaining 2 return within about 2 seconds. This is puzzling as the errors were not present prior to ignition switch replacement.

OK so let's see what I did in between ignition switch failure and its replacement: I unplugged the MAF, removed post MAF pipe, removed throttle, unplugged the Electronic module which sits on top of the throttle, unbolted starter motor, removed trigger and main stater cables, tested starter, refitted it, and refitted what I took off.

I tested output of starter trigger wire feed at the ignition switch. It failed.

I removed the ignition switch from the lock barrel assembly and turned the switch by hand and after some fiddling about, the starter motor kicked in as normal and started the car.

At this point the errors occurred. At the moment, I'm wondering if something in the switch has damaged the ECU.

I've done ECU resets by unplugging battery etc, Unpluged the MAF, camshaft position sensor connectors and reconnected them, checked all fuses under dash, battery and in front of battery and, these errors do not clear. Haven't checked relays though!

Crank sensor plug not checked as I can't see it. Not sure if a failure at crank sensor connector would result in the above errors being triggered.

Oh the battery was and is fully charged.

Any ideas appreciated.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 10-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
From reading numerous posts on these codes, I see the common theme of connector problems across 147s and 156 TS owners. Some people talk about connectors behind the glove box. Can anyone confirm:

1) if 147 2 lt TS (2004) has these connectors behind the glove box or are they only present on 156s.

2) locations of other connectors other than camshaft, MAF and the 2 sitting on top of the throttle.

It would save me some time. Thanks
AO Gold Member
I'd have another look at the connectors "sitting on top of the throttle" - this is the ECU, and the pins are easily bent when reconnecting the plugs......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , codes , error , triggered