A New Toy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 JTD

A New Toy

I am a total newbie to Alfas, never thought I would move from Fords.

We are over in Germany and need a LHD drive car that didn't cost the earth and is quite sensible and have picked up a 2002 facelift 156 JTD sportwagen with 90K and some awful 18inch alloys on it. Its had the front suspension arms etc redone recently. Anything else I should be looking at?

Its bloody awesome to drive, had a blast on the autobahn on the way back, goes like stink.

SO there are some problems I noticed.

high pitched squeak from left side of engine when driving - not constant, could be a pully?
Knock from right front side when changing down and breaking - not constant also
I have two keys with two buttons, both black. Neither work remotely. There is one micoswitch between the two keys. Whats the best way of sorting this out. Can I post them for repair in the UK?

I have just got a set of pepperpot style Alfa alloys with 185 65 r15 on them. Are these correct tyres? I need to get another set as well as these are running winter tyres.

Any recommendations for the radio. The original isnt in there and the buttons on the steering wheel don't work. Would I best off be going and finding an original CD player or something a bit better?

And finally where is good for spares and most importantly a workshop manual. Will be over in the UK in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

I will answer what I can but haven't done alfa diesels

difficult to diagnose knocks creaks etc.. but drop links and bushes are common on all alfas
their is a guy ( need to do a forum search ) that is highly recommended on ebay that repairs keys
not sure on tyres
standard headunit is poor upgrade if possible
workshop manual only available on CD i believe but thier is also fiat eper for spares and repair manuals online

spares depends what you need.. lots of alfa breakers and lots of useful people on here that might have what you need if you make a list
AO Member
County: Lancashire
as regards the steering wheel controls you need some form of interface adapter to make them work with an aftermarket stereo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT