Advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-14 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire
Advice needed

Hi All,

I am a newbie who currently drives a VW Jetta but I've reached the time in my life where I would like something a bit different.

With the Italian style and beautiful design the Alfa is the one for me.

I am thinking of part exchanging my 2008 Jetta 1.9 TDI with 107,000 miles for a 2008 147 1.9 JTD 16V turismo which has just under 90,000 on the clock.

Will the 147 depreciate badly after 100k and also would I be better off spending the extra money for a GT?

The 147 is a good price and works within my budget and would enable me to have my first entry Alfa.

Any views or advice would be greatly appreciated.

FAO the cambelt was replaced on the 147 May last year.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt 2.0 jts

Cambelt, water pump and also aux belt, not sure in the JTDs have a variator. Its every 3 years ideally too, it should have been done by the dealer or a specalist, is not a job for any normal garage. Also check the oil when you go look at it, if it's low walk away.

Alfas in general don't hold their value as well as other cars, just bare that in mind, a lot of cars lose value when they go over 100k

Alfa Romeo 147 Buyer's Guide

Buyers guide for you. All the stuff you'd look for with any normal car, still applies. The JTD engine is a GM block, so it has the same pros/cons as the vauxhall cars.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
As the Piper says, a cambelt service should really include the timing belt, aux belt, tensioners, idlers and the water pump for it to have had the full works done.

The JTD doesn't have a variator, that's part of the VVT system on the twin spark petrol motors, so you can ignore that.

The cambelt advice is also incorrect - cambelts are recommended as 3 yearly for petrol engines only, diesel engines the update service manuals list the cambelt as a 72k service item and note that it should be changed every 4 years for heavy duty use (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or 5 years otherwise - so if you stick to every 4 years for cambelt you will be okay.

Alfas do depreciate at a fair rate, I don't think its too bad but that depends on your perspective. My advice would be not to think about too much, unless you're planning on taking finance out. Any car will depreciate once you've driven it.

The GT and 147 are virtually the same car in a different dress - the 156 / 147 / GT have a vast amount of common elements across the vehciles - you'll notice the interior on the '47 and GT are near identical for dash etc.

The common rail diesel engines were actually developed by Fiat (having sold the rights to the common rail tech to BOSCH when Fiat ran out of money a little bit) and started out life in the 156 2.4JTD motor and was developed from there.

The common rail diesel engines are considered one of the best out there for its time and the 16v JTD M-Jet has a great balance of performance, power and economy. My 156 JTD M-Jet used to do 50mpg or more easily.

You won't find too many issues with the motor, the only thing really to look for is it being sluggish. Below 2.5k RPM points to EGR issue, above tends to be MAF issue. When you test drive make sure you do lots of 2nd and 3rd gear low RPM foot hard down accelerations to check for this and ensure the turbo works fine.

They work on a variable geometry turbo so you want to make sure it boosts properly across the rev range and doesn't throw any warning lights / limp modes (which it will if there is an issue).

Other than that biggest weakness on the platform is front suspension - check for squeaks and rattles / sloppy handling.

A flashing odometer means canbus errors too, but they're fairly uncommon.

2008 is the toward the end of the production run for 147s so it should be a well sorted motor by that time in its life. The engine will run on for years and years so long as the body is well bolted together around it. The clutch on my 156 JTD M-Jet went around 85k so check in history to see if it has been done, I know clutches depend on use but it could be coming up time.

Final word from me - Look for the higher spec Lusso, Collezione, TI etc models and consider going for maybe a slightly older vehicle with higher spec. Alfas always come with good spec, so buying a poverty spec motor now will harm you on resale later as higher spec should be easy enough to come across. May check out the Parkers guide I think that has some good spec info.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

high mileage turbo diesels are always a risk. the problem being that while any old garage will fix a jetta, the same cannot be said of an alfa, so the number of people that can fix it/look after for you changes dramatically, but i think Hampshire should be ok

when you go to look at the car get them to remove the plastic cover from the top of the engine, if theres any black mess around the injectors it can cost a fortune to fix

drive the car in all gears checking for vibration in the drivetrain, the drive shaft joints fail

any clutch slip is a 700 job but will be the same on the jetta

personally if you can i go for a GT as they are perhaps the best looking alfa

I hope you go for it, after driving around in a jetta you deserve something that looks and drives as good as the alfa can do
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire
I thought cambelt intervals on the diesel were 48k not 72k as the water pump seizes and takes out the cambelt?
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
12k per year over 4 years would be 48k yes as the likelyhood of doin 72k in 4 years is slim.

As for the comments re servicing I disagree. Varients of the 1.9 motor are found in everything from the fiat doblo vans / taxis to Vauxhall 1.9 cdti engines to the Saab 93 ttdi and if you can't find a garage locally that can fix fleet vehicles like them I'd eat my own turf.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , needed