GT heater woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-01-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT heater woes

Got a GT, 6 month old, so still under UK warranty, the heater has never worked properly, anyone got a clue? Symptoms are - sometimes hot, sometimes cold, even Hi sometimes blows cold air, - tried all variations according to manual, dealer replaced controls, (twice), now its getting colder, I have to wrap up warm when driving. any suggestions gratefully received. thanks in advance. Martin
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: GT heater woes

Hi Martin,

Its a bit voodoo the old Alfa air con.

Is your temp sensor working correctly? Is it showing a roughly accurate reading on the dash of whats going on outside?

I have found that its temperature modulation (is that a phrase I have just invented?) is not great unless you set the system to full automatic.

I.e. Make sure that on the 'Auto' button on the left BOTH LED's are lit. This will control fan speed, and where the air flow is vented, so don't touch the centre dial..!! just let it figure it out for itself!

If it is sometimes hot / cold then I bet there is just a duff thermostat somewhere - outside or in.

AO Gold Member

Ask the dealer to flash overwrite every differnt version of the AC software from examiner and you try each in turn to find which works.

The software build isnt always as it should be, my 156 got in a tizzy after it overwritten from Fahrenheit to Celcius. The software that should have worked, didnt, that which shouldnt - done the trick.

One problem is that the technicians often dont understand the user interfaces on the AC control.

BTW normal is both horizontal lamps lit on the left hand dial and just the right hand lamp lit on the right hand dial.

Usually the interior sensor (attached to a wee fan in the console - behind a small vent) if faulty will show up on examiner. There is also the supply air sensors which are inside the ducting - again, this shows up if they are not working.

I take it your external temperature guage is working?
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 30-01-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

many thanks, will try as suggested. It really is random what inside temp I am going to get, set out today, set the temp to 23 degrees, did 10 miles journey, arrived perfectly warm. Return journey was freezing cold. Sometimes I get cold from one set of vents, other side hot, - it seems to vary every time I switch the car on. Difficulty comes when embarking on a long journey, never know if I have to stop several times to try to get some warmth on the car.! The external temp seems to be acurate and does work. Will persevere. Thanks again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

heater , woes